Mississauga The Way Urban Towns | 12.8m | 4s | Sorbara | Guthrie Muscovitch

mininamib

Member Bio
Reaction score
On a former strip-mall site at The Collegeway and Ridgeway in Mississauga, a 140 stacked townhouses / urban townhomes community being developed by Sorbara. The units are all 2-3 bedrooms.

The-Way-Streetscape_1000px.png

Pedestrian-Walkway-through-The-Way-Urban-Towns-2-6-v83-full.jpg

Exterior-View-of-The-Way-Urban-Towns-2-5-v83-full.jpg

The-Way-Urban-Towns-2-by-Sorbara-Group-of-Companies-7-v83-full.jpg

Site-Map-for-The-Way-Urban-Towns-2-Early-Rendering-18-v83-full.jpg

Great, so let's get rid of all retail in the area and force more people to get in their cars and drive a couple kms to the next closest retail area. Im sorry but I have no idea what Mississauga is doing, this area is completely devoid of basic retail needs. I mean i dont know, maybe let's start with a small grocer and then we'd actually be getting places.

Sorry but this is a mistake.

Great, so let's get rid of all retail in the area and force more people to get in their cars and drive a couple kms to the next closest retail area. Im sorry but I have no idea what Mississauga is doing, this area is completely devoid of basic retail needs. I mean i dont know, maybe let's start with a small grocer and then we'd actually be getting places.

Sorry but this is a mistake.
Hi Amare!
Well to say that all of the retail is being demolished wouldn’t be accurate. On the site plan the block to the left along Ridgeway is to be retail space.
I grew up near this site and I can tell you that although there was a strip mall, it was underutilized and many units were empty for YEARS. There used to be an IGA grocery store which closed down in the 1990‘s.
There was a Wok-a-Way, a pharmacy, a jerk chicken place, a mosque, and when I turned 4 or 5 I had my birthday party at the „Play-a-saurus“ which also closed down in the 1990‘s.
Not too far away along Colonial Drive is a large retail area between Vega Boulevard and Dundas (Costco, BestBuy, Moore’s, the Brick, Chapters, Solutions, Staples, etc) which is served by bus routes that will connect you at Collegeway and Ridgeway.
And the other side of Ridgeway at this intersection is a large industrial park with some retail, restaurants, and a bakery.

Trust me, what was here previously was not ideal and the parking lot was used for various things like storing unsold new cars, to being a place for teenagers to fire at each other with firecrackers and get into shoot outs, a travelling carnival, and a 1990’s stop for the bookmobile and Oscar Meier Weiner truck (I remember ALL of these things!).

So, in conclusion, this is one of the best things to happen at this site! I am super excited!

I‘ve brought this project to the attention of UrbanToronto but it still isn’t on the map. Does anyone know how construction is coming along?

@mininamib Your wish has been granted, this project has been added to the database! The architect is Guthrie Muscovitch according to the Site Plan and Elevations of 2016.

The latest Google Streetview from Feb 2021 shows excavation underway:
1659459818217.png

More recent updates are appreciated for anyone in the area or in the know!

Last edited:
@mininamib Your wish has been granted, this project has been added to the database! The architect is Guthrie Muskovitch according to the Site Plan and Elevations of 2016.

The latest Google Streetview from Feb 2021 shows excavation underway:
View attachment 417558

More recent updates are appreciated for anyone in the area or in the know!
Wow fantastic, thank you!

This project interests me in particular because I lived right around the corner from the plaza that used to stand here up until I was 12. I was there weekly and remember former tenants like the IGA, Play-a-Saurus, Stop-and-Go-Food-Market… and the occasional guests like the bookmobile and a travelling carnival. Unfortunately, the plaza was under-utilised, the carpark was empty apart from weeds, and it became an eyesore. Much better use of the space is coming now with the townhome and retail development there. It will breathe new life into that neighbourhood and bring in much needed density.

This is way further along than I was expecting.
DJI_0289.JPG
DJI_0293.JPG
DJI_0300.JPG
DJI_0292.JPG

Video to be posted when it finishes uploading.

Back