Toronto The Uptown Residences | ?m | 48s | Pemberton | Burka

nice to see they finally clad that north-west corner of the podium...I think the black looks pretty good....

Uptown/Crystal/Others today by me: (August 26, 2010)
***The Mechanical is taking some time, but the cladding is catching up!

4931026290_307281cbdd_b.jpg

More Uptown from today

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Crystal Blu in the foreground

i agree. for me, it doesn't make sense to clad the podium in "jet black" shiny granite, while the rest of the structure is completely white-matte finish. it clashes. something just doesn't quite look right -imo.

All I can say is, the original scheme was to have limestone on the podium, but................ well.... People, Just guess the second half of the story, okay?....

Last edited:
All I can say is, the original scheme was to have limestone on the podium, but................ well.... People, Just guess the second half of the story, okay?....

The podium was never going to be limestone, since the first day the sales centre was open and before the podium has always been a black granite. Look back in the thread, somewhere in there are pictures of the model from the sales centre, it also shows the black granite...

Indeed, the podium facing Balmuto Street and around each corner about 1/3rd was always black granite.

Limestone was proposed @ ORIGINAL Scheme..

When was limestone proposed? What we've seen since the beginning through marketing materials (the website, the model in the sales office etc.) before there was a hole in the ground was black granite.

More Uptown from today

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Crystal Blu in the foreground

These two really are quite prominent from the viewpoint in your first photo, and many other viewpoints as well. It just makes me wish even more that they were more architecturally deserving of this location. Such a shame.

That "grid" effect up the side isn't the most in keeping with the art deco setbacks. It's not awful, but imagine how much sleeker it would have been had they recessed the horizontal elements of the balconies back into the facade, to stress the "verticality". Would have been an ever-so-slight change that couldn't have cost much at all and would really complement the setbacks and its height.

^^ Aside from the rather ordinary materials, that's my main complaint with the building, namely the very plain surface treatment. They did it way better in the 1920s-40s.

If you ask me, i'm very glad this project was built (especially from streetlevel/yonge-bloor. it fits in well with yorkville... and looks CRAZY TALL! :)

Crystal has got some weird placement though. it feels just a little out of place.

It wont be out of place when the area as a whole gets some more height, I'd say Uptown and Crystal make a perfect starting point.

Back