Toronto The Uptown Residences | ?m | 48s | Pemberton | Burka

Yeah, great update Steveve... you too CasaGuy...

It's strange, for me, these buildings can sometimes look quite grand and decadent, while at other times, they just look cheap.

The token black granite's going up on the base but it doesn't nearly make up for the nasty, filthy precast and cheap-looking, off-the-rack windows. The building's still fugly.

Why are people complaining about the dirt on the pre-cast? It's a construction site, of course it's dirty. Anyway, stone cladding also gets dirty over time. Take a look at the stone on the Royal York, or the most obvious culprit, FCP.

Last edited:
^Does the RY look like it was assembled using Home Depot parts? (Besides, you're in Halifax I presume, which means you haven't seen this clunker in person. Should I judge Halifax buildings even though I've never been to that city?)

That's mighty presumptive of you. I've seen Uptown a few times in person because I make a point of visiting every major construction site downtown whenever I'm back in the city, the last time being a few weeks ago. You, on the other hand, actually live in Toronto and only saw the building in person for the first time three days ago (as per your post on March 16). But that's all beside the point.

Just take a look at this shot of the RY and tell me it doesn't look really dirty, and frankly repulsive:

2876762142a38689ac33b.jpg

It doesn't look like that these days, presumably because it's been cleaned since then. What a novel concept: periodically cleaning a building. I'm sure the condo board at Uptown won't have to think hard to come up with that one.

Last edited:
I can't see the granite fitting in with what's above. Could you see if it was polished or unpolished?

Stone looks beautiful as it ages, dirt and all. Precast, much like concrete 'brick,' just looks like crap, new or old. It should be used sparingly, as an accent. It should never be used as imitation stone to clad a whole building. 18 Yorkville, Quay West at Tip Top, One Bedford = Good use of precast. Uptown, WestHarbourCity = Bad use of precast.

extra floor, and that BMO logo that was cut in half is taken down. Not quite sure why it was up in the first place but that's neither here nor there.

I'm pretty sure that the BMO logo was never ON Uptown, but rather it was just the angle of casaguy's view ... the BMO logo is in fact located on the east elevation of Manulife North Tower

Black granite appears....pics by Jasonzed at SSC!!
20100320015.jpg

20100320012-1.jpg

20100320014.jpg

That's a fantastic find Ramako... I don't think I've ever seen a pic of the Sheraton Centre under construction or the York Centre (now called Aetna or maybe it's changed too)...and bonus rare shot of CIBC tower under construction. Excellent.

That's mighty presumptive of you. I've seen Uptown a few times in person because I make a point of visiting every major construction site downtown whenever I'm back in the city, the last time being a few weeks ago. You, on the other hand, actually live in Toronto and only saw the building in person for the first time three days ago (as per your post on March 16). But that's all beside the point.

Just take a look at this shot of the RY and tell me it doesn't look really dirty, and frankly repulsive:

2876762142a38689ac33b.jpg

It doesn't look like that these days, presumably because it's been cleaned since then. What a novel concept: periodically cleaning a building. I'm sure the condo board at Uptown won't have to think hard to come up with that one.

The granite is of course nice but the stucco-looking precast in between the black sections looks cheap.

Hopefully they use LOTS of black granite on the base and not much of that oddly coloured other stuff.

Back