Toronto The Uptown Residences | ?m | 48s | Pemberton | Burka

Thanks for all the praise guys, but all I did was colour the precast above and below each window a darker shade. It would have cost the developer absolutely nothing, ZERO, NADA, BUPKISS... to do what I did. All they had to do was choose charcoal grey from their precast supplier. There's no way a colour other than the cream they chose, is any more expensive.

Photos from a few minutes ago:

5004557105_95ee2b91cc_b.jpg

5005172380_5562968779_b.jpg

5005176536_36fd0597cf_b.jpg

steveve, I've been looking for a place to get that 2nd/3rd shot for months, good work!

More uptown from this afternoon:

This tower is TOTAL BEAST from yonge/bloor... A few posts back i said the tower looked short from the base-up, but the minute you get to Yonge/Bloor, it looks MASSIVE!. compare how short it looks in the last shot compared to the first 2...

5005622221_d0e1e50787_b.jpg

5006244926_22f0606d2d_b.jpg

5005639253_2e7a47ce97_b.jpg

awesome shots, steveve! Really like the way the sunlight catches the balconies on the last pic, plus the earlier views from Hayden are amazing......:)

I know this building can "look cheap" but if you ask me, its still much classier/expensive (both look wise and literally per square foot) than most in the area/the more recent towers in the area (casa, bsn, x condo, etc...). Uptown can more than pass as a high-end condo in yorkville. It's sorta like 1st thomas, just less exclusive. :). And maybe even crystal blu beside uptown makes it look worse. i tried covering crystal blu with my hands and found that uptown looks just a little better :D hehe

Naw. Not huiking Goodhue-ish enough. Uptown's more a hyperthyroid version of something that could have come up in Mussolini's Italy (not the slur that it sounds like)--and fittingly, the now denuded old cinema entrance/sales office is the most Mussolini-esque thing in Toronto...

If I squint and imagine hard enough, Uptown sort of reminds me of 500 5th Avenue, only shorter and not nearly as nice.

Attachments

• 500 .jpg
    500 .jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 239
Not world-class, but pretty imposing in height. It just seems to keep going up and up when you're standing close to it. Really makes me want to see 30 Rock up close. The finish doesn't look bad, it just seems there's a lack of detail, especially in the upper half. Too much beige precast. A slightly darker colour for the pre-cast would have worked better, I think. More contrast with the sky.

Not world-class, but pretty imposing in height. It just seems to keep going up and up when you're standing close to it. Really makes me want to see 30 Rock up close. The finish doesn't look bad, it just seems there's a lack of detail, especially in the upper half. Too much beige precast. A slightly darker colour for the pre-cast would have worked better, I think. More contrast with the sky.

If your ever in NYC don't miss the Rockefeller Plaza (incl. 30 Rock/GE Building), be sure to tour Radio City Music Hall there (a gem) and hit the observation deck of the GE Building, some of the best views in the city available to the public aside from Empire State are seen from there. Not to put down Uptown but it can't hold a candle to 30 Rock/Rockefeller Plaza. Don't forget to see the rest of NY!

If I squint and imagine hard enough, Uptown sort of reminds me of 500 5th Avenue, only shorter and not nearly as nice.

Like your example and like 30 Rock, there is a recurring motif that Uptown is missing... Note the dark spandrel above and below the windows that are an obvious theme in Art Deco buildings and is blatantly missing from Uptown. It's an inexplicable oversight by the developers that leaves me dazed and bewildered at the inexpensive and obvious missed opportunity.

Uptown amounts to a building with a basic Art Deco shape and setbacks and little else. I'm getting tired of all these comparisons to New York Art Deco landmarks and how it doesn't compare well. No, this run of the mill development doesn't compare to the finest Art Deco towers that were built in the 1930s. What a realization! There's no need for anymore comparisons.

Back