Toronto The Uptown Residences | ?m | 48s | Pemberton | Burka

I'm for heritage peservation too, but most ( with 2 or 3 exceptions) of the sructures on THIS city block have nothing to do with heritage . They are cheap , shabby and out of scale even with 3-4 storey neigboring heritage buildings...

I started a thread to discuss this area, and Yonge Street south of Bloor in general. I took some photographs on Wednesday of the area in question. Hope to see you there.

http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=9227

You sure about that? The building is barely above grade and the podium is supposed be clad in granite or some other stone.

Sure looked like precast panels to me. They were along the sides. Maybe the granite is restricted now to the front facade only.

Granite on Podium

judging from the scaled model (with photos courtesy of casaguy :D), it appears that the granite has always been intended to go only along the front portion of the podium facing Balmuto

upmodel6.jpg

I saw the precast as well. Quite a bit of it up (considering the podium isn't even done), sort of a creamy grey/off-white colour. I wonder if that's the colour of the precast for the tower as well

Going by the site, I'm suprised at how small the floorplate is, the models and renders make this project look like a very massive building. I know renders and models aren't accurate but this may turn out a very nice slender New York-style building.

If someone can post a pic of the latest install of the "precast" unless this white/creamy slab is what goes behind the granite.

I wonder if they are using the same material as One St. Thomas condo for the precast (or a low end version).

If Pemberton cheaps out on this relative to how it should look like...it will be a butt ugly building. Their reputation is on line for this one so they better do it right.

Last edited:
I have a feeling it's going to be very similar to the precast of West Harbour City. I hope not, because I was hoping for something a bit darker, and antique looking.

May 18th Update

Here is the precast on the south side of the building. It's a cream-ish/light beige.
To my eyes, it looks just like the material used in the model in the showroom, perhaps a bit lighter but obviously it's really too early to tell.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Looks good, and I think your photos give a good idea of it considering the lighting.

I was worried that it would be a white/cream colour. But it looks like it's a nice, sandy colour, which I think will look great. Yet it's not too dark, which will allow it to weather a bit and get darker.

Yellowy-beige brick like the Morgan woulda looked more authentic.

1110291459-Morgan.gif

Still one of my favourite recent developments...

Back