Toronto The United BLDG | 179.52m | 52s | Davpart | B+H

Like the colors and the podium too.
But something about the balconies feels weird to me, maybe it's the way the dividers stand out, reminds me of old apartment buildings like this one:

apartments.jpg

Last edited:
I quite like it as well. My only gripe is that the gold/bronze balcony details are not carried over to the south south facade, which instead appear to be run of the mill blue glass.

Wow, when I saw that the thread had been updated, I clicked in ready to hate, but this is darn nice.

Kind of amazing what a little colour, some recessed balconies, and a good old fashioned arcade can do for the senses of those all too accustomed to looking at Canderel-G+C crap (et al).

Loving the warm hues and the shifting massing that break up what would otherwise be a hulking tower. I hope the materials as striking in real life as depicted in the renderings because if not this could easily turn out like much of the blue glass condos. Happy to see that the proposals these days are trending away from the black and grey and towards more colourful material selection.

what a beauty. love that golden/Bronze accent to it. I hope Davpart build this one, It doesn't end up like 1 eglinton east.

Looks promising. Though too bad they couldn't work that three story middle red brick building on Centre Ave. into the podium. It has a bit of a 'Tudor' look going on that adds visual interest to the streetscape.

For once, a developer that properly addresses heritage building retention without pure facendectomy, while coming up with a pretty inspiring design above the historical portion which isnt just a blue respectable box plopped on top. I'm pretty impressed with this early design, at least they put some serious thought into it.

Take good notes Larco, because what you're about to do with the Dominion building is a pure joke.

Most of what I could say, has been said.

So I will offer a condensed thought pattern .

Tower: Much better, overall concept good, material pallet on the balcony railings in particular is everything!

Street level: Love the arcade concept. Not feeling that lighting in the renders.

It makes you wonder with all the hi-rise development planned and being built in the vicinity (488 University, Artists Alley, 250 Dundas W. 292 Dundas W., United Bldg.)
how long before the 52 Division lands get re-developed?

It makes you wonder with all the hi-rise development planned and being built in the vicinity (488 University, Artists Alley, 250 Dundas W. 292 Dundas W., United Bldg.)
how long before the 52 Division lands get re-developed?

I am holding out for a design competition to make that space more people-friendly but at minimum could the ego-entrenched popo apply some thoughtful greenscaping to soften the "square" and create natural barriers to the wind tunnel effect the space suffers from? Evergreens can be quite masculine...

Last edited:
The updated materiality creates a strong transition from heritage to modern. Step in the right direction for what will be a great project.

Anyone knows if there's any development plan for the blocks of land to the east of this building? The blocks currently used for Greyhound / coach buses, that big surface parking lot.

Back