Mississauga The Southlands | ?m | 72s | Camrost-Felcorp | a—A

The design of these remind me of the design for Sugar Warf Condos Phase 2
48305-145161.jpeg

28462-138292.jpeg

I think it's kind of bland... but the design might work within the urban context. Sort of like, a little bland mixing in with the rest around it, might kinda work?

Idk, we'll see... I wouldn't be surprised to see the final design be different.

Ok how about Oakland and San Francisco. Ottawa and Hull. Detroit and Windsor. Surely there are other cities pushed up directly beside each other.
Newark is a New York suburb.

Oakland is a bit unique, I’d call it more of an extension of San Francisco as a city and not a suburb, but it’s not a separate city from San Fran.

Windsor is separate city from Detroit because of the border making a big barrier.

I don’t understand how anyone can look at Mississauga and say it’s an independent metro area from Toronto. If you ignore random municipal boundaries and look at the city’s history, it’s very clear that it is purely a suburb of toronto. It’s Torontos largest and most important suburb, but a suburb none the less.

Oakland is a bit unique, I’d call it more of an extension of San Francisco as a city and not a suburb, but it’s not a separate city from San Fran.

Windsor is separate city from Detroit because of the border making a big barrier.

I don’t understand how anyone can look at Mississauga and say it’s an independent metro area from Toronto. If you ignore random municipal boundaries and look at the city’s history, it’s very clear that it is purely a suburb of toronto. It’s Torontos largest and most important suburb, but a suburb none the less.
The way I see it Brampton, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham and others. Will also follow the same path as Mississauga in the future having dense downtown core. So why make any suburb city of Toronto independent. Just find a way to fix the problem between niebouring cities of each region instead of splitting up. Toronto is the center of the Greater Golden Horseshoe universe in this case!

Looks like The Southlands is going to launch in the near future. Gladstone Media, Camrost's marketing agency has recently started working on marketing material.

Storyboard:

Analysing the storyboard:
  • Seems like they are starting off with one tower; one of the shorter typical towers
  • The cantilevers are called "jewelboxes"
  • Amenities include fitness centre, pool with cabanas & waterfalls, and a greenspace
  • Website domain to be southlands.com
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Look at the scale of all the development in Mississauga City Centre I am still flabbergasted that there isn't subway type infrastructure being developed (LRT is good and all but I feel that it will not be enough) and a better way to connect MCC to downtown Toronto. The direct GO Bus route was cancelled if I am not mistaken?

Look at the scale of all the development in Mississauga City Centre I am still flabbergasted that there isn't subway type infrastructure being developed (LRT is good and all but I feel that it will not be enough) and a better way to connect MCC to downtown Toronto. The direct GO Bus route was cancelled if I am not mistaken?
Ontario line west?

I do believe Route 21 was cancelled, I read up about it a few months back here

Personally, I find it odd that Vaughn has a subway connection to Toronto, but Mississauga does not. We are the larger population... but Vaughn wanted to, we have fought it.

People argue we don't have the density for a subway line/system, and granted this is a very different type situation I'm comparing, but China created lines to practically nowhere, and then built dense cities around the stations/stops.

I hope one day we have some sort of subway, I think its worth it to the long-term viability of this city, looking forward 50, 100 years down the road.

I do believe Route 21 was cancelled, I read up about it a few months back here

Personally, I find it odd that Vaughn has a subway connection to Toronto, but Mississauga does not. We are the larger population... but Vaughn wanted to, we have fought it.

People argue we don't have the density for a subway line/system, and granted this is a very different type situation I'm comparing, but China created lines to practically nowhere, and then built dense cities around the stations/stops.

I hope one day we have some sort of subway, I think its worth it to the long-term viability of this city, looking forward 50, 100 years down the road.
Mississauga is simply too far away from downtown for a subway line to be useful. An extension from Kipling would be about 12 kilometres long, with a ~21 minute travel time on the subway just to get to Kipling. You would be looking at over an hour on the subway to get to the financial district.

Mississauga would be better served with much better transit service - a GO RER tunnel connecting it to Milton line service would probably be the best bet, but wouldn't be cheap.You could probably get travel times closer to 30 minutes with that.

Mississauga is simply too far away from downtown for a subway line to be useful. An extension from Kipling would be about 12 kilometres long, with a ~21 minute travel time on the subway just to get to Kipling. You would be looking at over an hour on the subway to get to the financial district.

Mississauga would be better served with much better transit service - a GO RER tunnel connecting it to Milton line service would probably be the best bet, but wouldn't be cheap.You could probably get travel times closer to 30 minutes with that.
.5km longer than STC to union but we will all ignore that fact. We will also ignore that STC would have been serviced better by RER and yet is getting a subway. And let’s not make the assumption all trips are to the financial district.

D8890E79-F7B0-440A-8977-776E13D2C305.png
8C1AA457-B4E5-4627-B722-0E4701678716.png

Last edited:

I'd go a bit further and say Mississauga is Toronto. Toronto is the GTHA, the City of Toronto is just an administrative subdivision.

Back