Toronto The Selby | 165.5m | 50s | Tricon | bKL Architecture

So what infrastructure would you propose for this area? There are already 2 subway lines nearby, protected bike lanes on Sherbourne, and another protected bike lane coming soon to Welseley.

I was making more of a general comment... The subway lines you speak of are already over-crowded, and you are adding more riders to it. The war on the car only makes sense when you provide and improve other alternatives.

I was making more of a general comment... The subway lines you speak of are already over-crowded, and you are adding more riders to it. The war on the car only makes sense when you provide and improve other alternatives.

Well I'm sure everyone agrees we need to expand our transit system.

I suppose the DRL would help.

Some movement here relating to Heritage: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2014.PB32.1

"This report recommends that City Council endorse the conservation strategy generally described in this report for the heritage properties located at 592 Sherbourne Street (The C. H. Gooderham House) and 15 Selby Street (A.H. Rundle House) in connection with the proposed redevelopment of 592 Sherbourne Street for a residential tower development of 49 storeys and a specified height in metres which would include the incorporation of the C.H. Gooderham House into the development and to add permission for limited office uses for the 15 Selby Street property, provided the existing building (A.H. Rundle House) is retained, conserved, designated, and is the subject of a Heritage Easement Agreement. Should Council endorse this strategy staff recommend that the existing Heritage Easement Agreement and designating By-law for 592 Sherbourne Street be amended, and that Council state its intention to designate 15 Selby Street under Part IV, Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act and require the owner of 15 Selby Street to enter into and register a Heritage Easement Agreement with the City and authorize staff to take the necessary steps to enter into such Heritage Easement Agreement, to ensure the long-term protection for 15 Selby Street."

Am I the only one who's concerned with the actual livability of this building??

St. James Town is already the most dense neighbourhood in downtown Toronto; traffic at the intersection of Bloor and Sherbourne is bad as is. With the addition of thousands of units from JCM, this project, and the multi-building development just East of Sherbourne, the neighbourhood's going to be way too crowded and a nightmare for traffic.

Did you see how close this project is to the JCM condo? Half of the units of each building will be staring into each other's bedroom or forever keep their blinds closed. How's that comfortable living?

A truly genius design is a design that not only is smart on its own, but fits well with the surrounding buildings and the neighbourhood. This design, though it may be trendy and modern with its use of bold color, is a blatant ignorance to the city's height limit and the actual livability of its future residents.

Most of the residents in this condo will not drive, at least on a daily commute basis.

And speaking of comfortable living, why do you worry so much if the building sells? People who choose to live downtown know that they need to sacrifice "privacy" one deems sacred in the suburbs. Half of the units will be staring each other, so what, that's called city living. My neighbour can see right into my bedroom if he stands on his balcony, but that seldom worries me. And he is almost never on the balcony. What is "too crowded", it depends on who you are talking to. For some, even a three story townhouse seems too much, while for others, rows of 60 story towers are fine. Personally I think downtown Toronto is not too crowded at all. The population can easily be tripled and I would love to see that. And if this location being within ten minutes walk to two subway stations can't have tall buildings, I don't know what location can. Don't worry about "height limit", if anything, our height limit downtown is too strict.

I don't consider living in Vaughan or Richmond Hill yet commute to the CBD to work "comfortable living". That sounds like a nightmare to me no matter how nice and quiet the neighbourhood is.

In terms of transit, there are subways, buses and dedicated bike lanes. It can hardly be better.

Thanks for catching that. Done!

The marketing is now under way with the development being called The Selby Condominiums.

Very nice design, The space under the "overhang" needs to be thought about imaginatively... I like this comment of you

I live at Bloor and Sherbourne and drive. I honestly don't think traffic is that bad for a downtown intersection.

Same here. Traffic is a non-issue for those living at Sherbourne and Bloor. The traffic in the neighbourhood will not affect any of us, as it doesn't affect us today. The traffic is caused by those coming into the neighbourhood in the morning, and those going out in the evening... the complete opposite of what anyone living in the neighbourhood has to deal with. This building will not change that, unless people are suggesting it is suddenly going to become an office building and add to the morning rush in, and mass exodus out.

I also live in the area and agree, traffic is not an issue, even at rush hour it's manageable, and if james cooper next door is any indication of added vehicles I must say I rarely see vehicles coming and going. It's right at the subway, I doubt that many residents will be driving.

Great to see more retail along this section of Sherbourne Street. With the addition of expanded space at 545 Sherbourne on the east side, this (small) space on the west will help create a much more vibrant streetscape. Is it time to consider Bloor and Sherbourne a new neighbourhood with a separate identity from St. Jamestown?

Back