Toronto The Quay, Tower Four | 66.4m | 21s | Pacific Reach | BDP Quadrangle

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New Application in for this one in the AIC, no description yet except that it includes rezoning and is listed as covering 350 and 390

1626264108821.png

I don't believe so - the 350 QQW building is getting extended on each floor but a couple of units and a laundry room. You can see the extension in the render up above.
There was a plan to do the same on the 390 tower - but that was canned and I believe they are just filling in the GF spaces at each end of the tower.

So it looks like they are doing the same addition to 390 as they are planning to 350 with additional units per floor - and adding a 4th tower to the corner of the parking garage as well as a small addition on the south side of the parking garage

Official Plan & Zoning By-law Amendment application for a new 16-storey purpose-built rental residential tower atop the existing above-grade parkade at 396 Queens Quay West (21 storeys in total), a 4-storey façade including purpose-built rental residential units to the south face of the parkade at 396 Queens Quay West, and the addition of new residential space and laundry rooms to each floor of the north end of the existing rental residential tower at 390 Queens Quay West. The proposed redevelopment would result in the addition of 239 new purpose-built rental units on the site.

R02KtCO.png

ihOreTY.png

Well there goes the rent control (and some of the views) for the existing rental units, that's a damn shame.

As the the proposal itself, the tower furthest to the west looks good and interacts well with its surroundings. The tower in between the 2 existing buildings needs a lot of help to say the least. To be frank actually, it should be reduced in height just for backdrop purposes.

Well there goes the rent control (and some of the views) for the existing rental units, that's a damn shame.

As the the proposal itself, the tower furthest to the west looks good and interacts well with its surroundings. The tower in between the 2 existing buildings needs a lot of help to say the least. To be frank actually, it should be reduced in height just for backdrop purposes.

rent control would still apply to the units in the older towers, no?

it would if they remained unaltered, which is likely given rental replacement requirements.
Exactly this. Perhaps I shouldve been more clear, I was assuming there would be alterations (which we cant confirm 100% yet). Funny thing is, if they make even the slightest addition to existing units, they would no longer have rent control which is just absolute BS.

However the additional units to the existing building wont have any rent control:

Rent control rules do not apply to new housing units that have been occupied for residential purposes for the first time after November 15, 2018. This applies to units that are newly built, additions to existing buildings, and new basement apartments.

Current tenants with tenancy agreements or leases entered into on or before November 15, 2018 will continue to be subject to the rent control rules.

Exactly this. Perhaps I shouldve been more clear, I was assuming there would be alterations (which we cant confirm 100% yet). Funny thing is, if they make even the slightest addition to existing units, they would no longer have rent control which is just absolute BS.

However the additional units to the existing building wont have any rent control:

Rent control rules do not apply to new housing units that have been occupied for residential purposes for the first time after November 15, 2018. This applies to units that are newly built, additions to existing buildings, and new basement apartments.

Current tenants with tenancy agreements or leases entered into on or before November 15, 2018 will continue to be subject to the rent control rules.
rental replacement policies would hold rents in the existing units even if they are re-arranged internally.

Given they have already sunk a good amount of money into the existing units, I doubt they will be modified anyway.

The new units in the additions wouldn't be rent controlled, but the existing units would remain as such.

Back