Toronto The Pemberton | 215.79m | 68s | Pemberton | a—A

The dataBase file has been updated with all of the new images.

This project, most notably its podium, is completely out of scale with its context. That podium would be appropriate for Bloor Street. Yorkville Ave., not so much.

I do rather like the podium--it's like a glass brutalist building. But it needs the 60/40 brick/glazing treatment to be sustainable long term. The towers are rather boring and predictable.

The main problem with the design: Is it absolutely better than the structure it replaces? Time to bring in Bjarke Ingels.:D

Because they have to provide so many parking spaces the podium is bound to be quite large and tall. The renderings actually look pretty nice for a parking garage.

Look at that wall of glass, on the first 2 floors. It seems like every new tower going up is doing the exact same thing in practically every building. Just like the grey spandrel thing, the ubiquitous use of flat, glass walls will not be good for the city. It seems like once a design trend is established in Toronto, every developer has to do the same. Why would they want to do what every other developer is doing? Don't people in this city value creativity and unique design features? It drives me nuts when everybody wants to conform and developers give us the same bland, wall of glass retail, over and over. With this building boom we are missing a huge opportunity to build great buildings that make our streets livelier and more interesting visually. We might not have this great opportunity again in our life time, yet we're practically throwing it away. Yes, we have a few nice buildings but we could have had a collection of great architecture to distinguish the city.

We need to really look at how our buildings meet the street. Yes, it's nice that we are getting lots of new retail to animate our streets but all glass walls have no character. They are just flat, featureless windows that all look the same. Where is the variety of textures, colours, materials and design? It's such a half-assed attempt to create anything interesting and it's happening all over the city. It's so god damned frustrating!

Last edited:
I do rather like the podium--it's like a glass brutalist building. But it needs the 60/40 brick/glazing treatment to be sustainable long term. The towers are rather boring and predictable.

The main problem with the design: Is it absolutely better than the structure it replaces? Time to bring in Bjarke Ingels.:D

What is this, 2006?

The 62-storey tower would be 215 metres or 706 feet, and the 40-storey tower would be 142.5 metres or 468 feet tall.

kinda an underwhelming downgrade. The design looks like the lovechild of Murano and the old 460 (YC Condos) balcony arrangement.
Also, did they change the orientation of the buildings? The most recent renders would not align with that change, but from what I'm seeing on the architectural drawings, it appears to me as if they've rotated them (i could be wrong):
http://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toro...37Yorkville_RezoningSubmission_2014-06-13.pdf

Back