Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

From today:

IMG_0812.jpg

It’s nice to hear that, is there any official master plan from city of Toronto, or do they hire someone who has to manage that. I’d really love to know more about it, because it’s kinda bothering, you can see broken lights everywhere, when there are lights that supposed to be symmetrical or to highlight particular parts of the building , but some of them are for sure broken and it looks even worse. And why new buildings the same? As little light as possible initially , are they trying to be as much unremarkable as possible?

The lighting requirement isn't in a bylaw, so it is more of a city design review panel suggestion that may or may not be included at the developers discretion. It then falls on the building owner/board to fix the lighting if it breaks etc. Seems like, for example Aura, that they don't want or have the money to fix the lighting and just leave it as is, which is unfortunate. No official master plans in place that I know of, but they are thinking about it and the developers are at least engaging in it as well. On a personal opinion about it, I enjoy the lighting etc that they are trying, (some more than others), but if every building had them, it would be over the top, too bright and tacky. Moderation.

So it begins...

It's weird though that they'd put in load bearing walls in order to meet the layout requirements. I'd think they'd be able to keep the same concrete pillar layout and modify the unit layout by changing the drywalling inside.

Possibly because the usual pillar alignment messed with the interior layout so they had to reposition them so that they're not in the middle of a living room or something? Not entirely sure.

It's weird though that they'd put in load bearing walls in order to meet the layout requirements. I'd think they'd be able to keep the same concrete pillar layout and modify the unit layout by changing the drywalling inside.

For the amount the units are selling for, I'd expect more than just drywall between units. Concrete is much better for soundproofing.

Photos taken today, Friday (July 19). Since I posted last Friday, a lot of upward movement as they apparently have started on level 63. Much of the blue scaffolding has moved up a level on the top, as have the corner scaffolds, up to around level 55 or so, as the hanger sections near completion. As for the black Rail Climbing Systems (RCSs) which are installing the skin below, last week they were at levels 35, 35 and 34 for the east, north and west RCS, respectively. The RCSs now are at levels 36, 35 and 35. Level 36 being the top floor of the second mega-section (for lack of better word - is there a better word?), i.e., the sections between the mechanical levels. Soon we will see the completed "notch" look of that section. And the crane is up a section or two, with the exterior elevator looking like they are about to add three more levels to floor 56, the top of the third mega-section.

Starting with the latest Flickr "time-lapse" album addition, followed by views from the south, including a tight shot of the crane near the top. The view from Balmuto, directly across the street to the west, from Bloor at Balmuto by Holt Renfrew, then shots from Cumberland east of Bay, the diagonal view. From near the old Bay entrance on Bloor east of Yonge, then from Bloor and Bedford to the west, 1 Bloor W now covering more of 1 Bloor E, the last balconies about to be hidden. Then a shot of the new mountain range there... from Hoskin. Finally, from Queen's Park Cres E and College, framed by the Whitney Block tower, I posted the same view a week or so ago, rather like it.

UTIMG_3912.jpg
UTIMG_3759.jpg
UTIMG_3846.jpg
UTIMG_4177-2.jpg
UTIMG_4119.jpg
UTIMG_4097.jpg
UTIMG_4026.jpg
UTIMG_4000.jpg
UTIMG_3983.jpg
UTIMG_3876.jpg
UTIMG_4238.jpg
UTIMG_4289.jpg
UTIMG_3694.jpg

Last edited:
I really hope skygrid isnt ommiting the spot lights on the exoskeleton .

Soft spot lighting looks so much better than harsh LED strips
There seems to be no indication of either currently. And unless it was baked into the original contract in building this tower to 85 stories, I can see this being one of the superfluous features that got cut when this all fell into receivership...

...personally, the quality and beauty of the diagrids are such that it doesn't really need it. Not that I would oppose the lighting features if it had made the cut.

Back