Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I think from views like the DVP and Riverdale Park we'll see its full scale.

Ridiculously tall that is. Silly? For now, it is. But it depends on who you're asking. It's being used to catalyze the development around it, only time will tell...

A graphic of The One in context at 306 m , 1004 feet :

This is exceptional, along with the similarly-styled ones you've done in the Renderings thread.

For me the most pronounced Y+B looks is when traveling w/b on Danforth along the Viaduct. You have this open expanse, but dead ahead have these thronging towers standing out.

It might seem that way to you.

But investing in development also means investing in infrastructure, and making livable cities. Cities bring in outside money, and hopefully, lasting economic change for the country.

Don’t kid yourself I’m thinking that the sheiks, royalty and oil barons of the area don’t know that petroleum’s days are numbered (socially and in regards to reserves). They’re investing into their own countries in the hopes of fostering lasting change. Yes, some may be despots, and the countries themselves may be anti-progressive. But many do care about the future of their home, regardless of their wealth or social status.

In the long run, it also benefits equality, as urban areas foster progressive ideology. See; Doha.

This is some serious apologist crap for one of the world's worst regimes and violators of human rights.

Good Lord.

^Well Zang is right about these Kingdoms recognizing oils' waning worth, however Bob is clearly right as well surrounding the total BS about the Shieks giving a crap about fostering lasting change and trying to create equality. That's surely how they would like to appear, but let's not kid ourselves that they are looking to lose any of the insane wealth they have in comparison to any one of "their" people. These things are done for egotistical and economic purposess at best, nothing more. Sorry sometimes the OT conversations are more interesting.

And..back to it. Did I read correctly back a few pages that there will be exterior lighting similar to the CN Tower's vertical stripes which can be programmed to any number of colours and patterns?

At that height I don't think it will look vastly different from the ground. You'll be able to tell which one is taller for sure, but it won't dominate the intersection. Think Commerce Court to First Canadian Place, one is evidently taller, but it's not a neck tilt higher, just a slight glance.

To me, the change in elevation at Bloor Street is only really apparent to the naked eye from a few angles, mainly from very very far away in the north or south direction, or if you’re on one of the upper floors of these buildings. You’d have to get a really unobstructed or dead-centre view from the East or West to appreciate the effect on the skyline at a decent distance. Super tall or not, FCP and The One are very close in height, I’d classify anything from 280mish to 320m as ‘looks like a supertall’ to the naked eye. Once you hit 340m territory like YSL, you get into ‘definitely a supertall’ territory.

Unfortunately looking from the East/East-South-East, Number One Bloor blocks out a significant portion of The One, but you will see a sliver of it popping out of the top. It comes more into view a little further south (like near the Portlands/Leslie Spit), and this works vice versa in the opposite direction.

And..back to it. Did I read correctly back a few pages that there will be exterior lighting similar to the CN Tower's vertical stripes which can be programmed to any number of colours and patterns?

That’s right, as depicted in the renderings, it will light the mechanical levels and the roof. 432 Park was an inspiration for many of the features I’m the building, so I expect the look to be very similar [insert epic picture of Manhattan skyline at night]

Super tall or not, FCP and The One are very close in height, I’d classify anything from 280mish to 320m as ‘looks like a supertall’ to the naked eye. Once you hit 340m territory like YSL, you get into ‘definitely a supertall’ territory.
Don't forget that The One is at a much greater elevation than FCP already, so from far away it will appear significantly taller. I think I remember reading that the top of 1BE is actually higher than the top of FCP just due to the elevation difference.

Last edited:
There is about 32m in elevation difference between King / Bay and Bloor / Yonge. So One Bloor is slightly shorter still, but only barely. The One will "appear" to be 38m taller than FCP from a distance.

Also, are people sure that FCP is 298m? Google earth's 3D has it at about 291m to the top of the mechanical penthouse when compared to King Street.

That’s right, as depicted in the renderings, it will light the mechanical levels and the roof. 432 Park was an inspiration for many of the features I’m the building, so I expect the look to be very similar [insert epic picture of Manhattan skyline at night]

There was also discussion of this in that Talk Condo interview that was linked a few pages back:

Roy Bhandari: One of the things we didn’t touch on was, and again it’s one of those small features that I think is going to have a big impact, is this lighting feature on the exterior of the building. They mentioned that the building can change color depending on what they’re celebrating, so on Canada Day it can be red and white. On independence day for the state it’s going to be red, white and blue.

Eric Kuzuian: Correct.

Roy Bhandari: Again, it’s one of those small details, but if you think about, around the world, go out of Toronto into the world for a second and you think about the kinds of buildings that support this feature or celebrate this feature, like you go to New York, it’s the Empire State Building, red, white and blue on independence day, pink when they’re celebrating breast cancer awareness. If you think about these kinds of buildings, they are that building … This is working towards that, where it wants to be the Empire State Building in terms of stature, in terms of importance.

Eric Kuzuian: Yeah, we’ve used the word before, but that’s exactly what a landmark is. It positions itself to be a visual for the rest of the city and to celebrate when it needs to celebrate, to show emotion. That was a very, very special detail that was thought of for the building that’s going to be amazing to see when it’s lit up at night.

This is working towards that, where it wants to be the Empire State Building in terms of stature, in terms of importance.

Eric Kuzuian: Yeah, we’ve used the word before, but that’s exactly what a landmark is. It positions itself to be a visual for the rest of the city and to celebrate when it needs to celebrate, to show emotion. That was a very, very special detail that was thought of for the building that’s going to be amazing to see when it’s lit up at night.

It's nice, but it ain't ESB in terms of significance or emotional attachment. And when it comes to landmarks - we already have a building that serves said purpose - CN Tower.

AoD

Just now.
E71F8E1B-447C-421D-944A-38262D94A8BF.jpeg
8FF4568E-80E4-4DAA-A40A-EDF8E38918A6.jpeg

Attachments

• E71F8E1B-447C-421D-944A-38262D94A8BF.jpeg
    E71F8E1B-447C-421D-944A-38262D94A8BF.jpeg
    335.5 KB · Views: 423
  • 8FF4568E-80E4-4DAA-A40A-EDF8E38918A6.jpeg
    8FF4568E-80E4-4DAA-A40A-EDF8E38918A6.jpeg
    349.5 KB · Views: 379
This is some serious apologist crap for one of the world's worst regimes and violators of human rights.

Good Lord.

^Well Zang is right about these Kingdoms recognizing oils' waning worth, however Bob is clearly right as well surrounding the total BS about the Shieks giving a crap about fostering lasting change and trying to create equality. That's surely how they would like to appear, but let's not kid ourselves that they are looking to lose any of the insane wealth they have in comparison to any one of "their" people. These things are done for egotistical and economic purposess at best, nothing more.

I'm not apologizing for anyone, and you seem unable to distinguish between a country's social culture and a billionaire caring about a country's continued existence, and want to ignore that those billionaires may have progressive views. See Mohammed Hussein Al-Amoudi; Philanthropist, Investor, Real-Estate Developer, and pro-Women's Rights. Oh, and he's a Sheikh.

Al-Waleed Bin Talal bin Abdulaziz al Saud, developer of Jeddah Tower (and Saudi Prince) is a great philanthropist and was the person most pushing for the recent law allowing women to drive in Saudi Arabia.

So, while your eyes may see only in black and white, there's a whole lot of grey out there. And while it may not yet be to our arbitrary standards (the West is hardly free of human rights abuses) there are powerful and rich forces in the Middle East trying to make it a better place, both economically and socially.

Last edited:

Back