Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

were the latest changes initiated by the City or Mizrahi?
Be pretty absurd for Mizrahi to propose the initial design only to change it due to "cost".
They must know the cost estimate before accepting the design and releasing it to the public

were the latest changes initiated by the City or Mizrahi?
Be pretty absurd for Mizrahi to propose the initial design only to change it due to "cost".
They must know the cost estimate before accepting the design and releasing it to the public

Not absurd at all - he got a large amount of free publicity for his development for one.

AoD

More square works for me. I'm very hopeful that this will still be an iconic tower when completed. I love that Hue's facsade is being retained. It makes at least that part of the podium more human scale and not just huge expanses of glass.

More square works for me. I'm very hopeful that this will still be an iconic tower when completed. I love that Hue's facsade is being retained. It makes at least that part of the podium more human scale and not just huge expanses of glass.

Indeed - and I like how F+P replicated the cadence of the Hue facade without slavishly going faux historical. It will be really handsome if built.

AoD

Don't worry, If 1 Bloor East is any indication people will have lots of opportunities for drama and over-reaction before we ever see shovels in the ground on a real building. And hey if Mizrahi messes up and goes bankrupt Great Gulf will always be there to pick up the pieces.

I wonder what the actual reason is for the recent change...

Not too crazy about the Hue's kitchen facade being retained... I love heritage but I don't actually consider this a victory.

Why must every new landmark that goes through planning end up retaining ugly heritage facades? Throw them somewhere else on city-owned land. Certain designs simply cannot have what amounts to a barnacle at its base.
I know. Most of the time it just looks ridiculous.

Not likely.

I found these on Twitter (posted by Urban Cayman):

View attachment 46336

View attachment 46337

Judging by these pics, it looks like the actual footprint of the tower, at least on this axis, as very close to that of Uptown Residences behind it. This means we are looking at a very very slender building. Now picturing a 330m building the same slenderness of Uptown in this photo below by urban dreamer blows my mind.
We might just get a taste of the super-slender-supertall type of towers that have been springing up in places such as NYC with this height to width ratio.

FIRE!!!
ZabHYE4.jpg

Also, are we going get the official revised rendering posted?

Here's an updated elevation:

While I think that this building needs to make accommodations, I also think they've folded over backwards too readily to histrionics, as was plenty at the meeting.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Looks like they are wasting no time tearing down the neighboring building to the west

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,294
Looks like a much smaller footprint then its competitor across the street, now if only we can see the revised proposal (I knew they'd change it, God forbid we have a building that has a lot of character). Without the exoskeleton, it will be just another glass and steel box with no special features, aside from its amazing height. I know that sounds terribly pessimistic, and I'm still holding out hope it will turn out much better then I'm envisioning. Besides, how many times is a design rewritten before the first shovel goes into the ground. The only thing that will really hawk me right off is if they cut the height. If anything, at least it will be the tallest in the city, and the country, now we wait, and see.....

Looks like a much smaller footprint then its competitor across the street, now if only we can see the revised proposal (I knew they'd change it, God forbid we have a building that has a lot of character). Without the exoskeleton, it will be just another glass and steel box with no special features, aside from its amazing height. I know that sounds terribly pessimistic, and I'm still holding out hope it will turn out much better then I'm envisioning. Besides, how many times is a design rewritten before the first shovel goes into the ground. The only thing that will really hawk me right off is if they cut the height. If anything, at least it will be the tallest in the city, and the country, now we wait, and see.....

I'm still cautiously optimistic and loathe to turn on someone who is actually building something in this city, rather than just talking and opining. Having sais that, its surprising how quickly the design got jettisoned. Experience would suggest the next version will be slightly less impressive, not slightly more impressive.

Is the new tower wider than the original design?
the original design surprised me in that the tower did not maximise the south/north facing "frontage".
Those would certainty fetch a premium for the developer.

Yes, the new design is wider east-west than the original design, and shorter north-south. Not sure how the total floor plate compares size-wise (have they gained as much adding to the west as they lopped off from the south end? don't know).

Back