Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

View from 55C:

IMG_6869.jpeg

I call it the Golden Corner because it is where I can make a golden shot of The One in all its glory. I acknowledge that some people call it the Champagne Corner as it is indeed a corner of champions. I also acknowledge that some people simply call it Northeast Corner of Yonge and Bloor as it is kitty-corner to The One.
Literally nobody except you calls it either of those names.

Photos taken today, Friday (June 21). Since my post last week, the super-column forms moving up at the top as work progresses on levels 59 and 60, as well with the blue corner forms, now around level 53. Only one of the three Rail Climbing Systems (RCSs) have moved up since last week, when they were all at level 30. The east RCS is now installing at level 32, with some of that level's glass in place on the south side. (The mini RCS-like scaffolding on the south is also up, to 29 or so.) We should see a lot of movement as the top races to level 76 and 263 meters, where the next mechanical level is, at least by the old plans I have, now around 206 meters high.

After my latest Flickr "time-lapse" album update, views from Yonge south of Dundas, then around Alexander, with more shots of the south side. Then from in front of Holt Renfrew where progress is only really visible at the very top, and a shot of 1 Bloor E and W from the north side of Bloor, followed by one looking straight up in the Bloor/Yonge intersection. Then, views from Cumberland east of Bay, showing the rising top, and shots from in front of the old Bay store on Bloor where we see the greatest extent of installed skin. Finally, a view from Bloor and Bedford where the top is getting close to the top of 1 Bloor E!

There was rain, so a few water drops on the lens on some shots... and thanks 3Dementia for the compliment for re-posting one of my shots on Tuesday!

UTIMG_9798.jpg
UTIMG_9650.jpg
UTIMG_9685.jpg
UTIMG_9718.jpg
UTIMG_9765.jpg
UTIMG_0091.jpg
UTIMG_0020.jpg
UTIMG_0046.jpg
UTIMG_0079.jpg
UTIMG_9966.jpg
UTIMG_9934.jpg
UTIMG_9839.jpg
UTIMG_9821.jpg
UTIMG_0112.jpg

Johnny Au is definitely trying to make fetch happen with his "Champagne Corner." I'm not sure whether persistence will be successful in getting people to refer to it that way, but hey, it's worked in the past, so I can see why he's trying it out.

I'm not interested in calling it the Champagne Corner. But I'm definitely more on the side of the dreamers who want to be a little extravagant when it comes to talking about Toronto. The "sophisticated" take on Toronto is often one of unrelenting negativity - and it seems to be a way for people to socially indicate "I live in Toronto, but I'm more sophisticated than everyone else here." I think it's actually quite brave to come up with a romantic name for a Toronto street corner and then persist in calling it that, even when people turn their noses up at you.

This is a board for Toronto dreamers - I'm not sure why one person's dream is one too many for some people here.

Did anybody think that maybe that's just what he likes calling it and seeing as he is posting the pictures for us to admire he gets to do that is it means getting the almost daily updates that he gives I have no problem with it being called champagne corner this just kind of comes off as bored people looking for an argument guys

You can call it whatever you want. I know this is The One thread.

Creditors have taken over The One and have put it up for sale. I would err on the side of caution and wait for the tower to be completed before popping the bottle. It wouldn't be for sale if the creditors decided on finishing it.

I think a nickname would be nice. This might not be the right forum to try to make it catch on with the general public though. I believe Johnny writes for BlogTo sometimes - perhaps an article write-up on The One with a direct poll asking about names for the corner would get the ball rolling, or persuading one of their "influencer" colleagues who makes content for IG could do something.

Back