Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

How likely do you think that Apple returns to this space?

Perhaps they are waiting to re-negotiate or wait until there is more clarity when this project will be retail tenant-ready.
For their global flagships they like either historic restorations or ground up designs by their favourite architect (F+P). At this point they’re not going to get either any quicker than moving into this space in two years…

I'm pretty sure most forum readers aren't particularly interested in the ethics or virtues of the Canadian real estate business. Nor do they worry about vacant suites or cashflow models on development proformas.
They come to view the progress of cool and unique buildings as well as learn insightful knowledge from industry experts. I am making this assumption based on the fact that the majority of reaction scores stem from photos and not people's general opinions.
...the occasional well placed quip also generates a lot of hits at times. <3

There's a very strong legal (and engineering) case to be made that the design requirements Apple introduced included a substantial amount of risk, resulting in the increased cost &/or schedule overruns - and that backing out of their occupancy would be skirting much of the financial burden that they helped incur.

I have no doubt once this is fully realized, that Apple will occupy the space, and a lengthy settlement case will ensue.

Last edited:
IMG_7875.jpeg
IMG_7876.jpeg
IMG_7877.jpeg
IMG_7878.jpeg
IMG_7879.jpeg
Today. Last post until late December.

There's a very strong legal (and engineering) case to be made that the design requirements Apple introduced included a substantial amount of risk, resulting in the increased cost &/or schedule overruns - and that backing out of their occupancy would be skirting much of the financial burden that they helped incur.

I have no doubt once this is fully realized, that Apple will occupy the space, and a lengthy settlement case will ensue.

I wouldn't assume there's any legal case.

It all depends on the language of the contract between Apple and Mizrahi, which none of us have seen, but it already seems to have allowed Apple to break the lease.

Whether they still occupy as a practical matter is a different question.

For their global flagships they like either historic restorations or ground up designs by their favourite architect (F+P). At this point they’re not going to get either any quicker than moving into this space in two years…
Lol in two years? More like another 3-4 years

I think it's disappointing that the only use people can think of for that space is an Apple store. I think it says a lot about the retail landscape (there is almost no mid-market retailers who imagine their retail spaces as places for experiences) and the current cultural landscape of Toronto.
Not unique to Toronto...

Desperate times call for… maybe think different and see if Apple would nibble on a hybrid use for the space (c’mon folks kiss and make up):

an Apple Museum and Store ;-).

58b580c4dd089502398b45cb

businessinsider.com

Link to Apple Museum in Prague story: https://www.businessinsider.com/inside-the-apple-museum-in-prague-2017-2

Celebrating new technology and 41 years of fruit farming.

If we're to devote space at a prime location to showcasing technology surely it should be Canadian technology rather than worshipping Apple, a massively wealthy foreign corporation? Put a showroom in there for the 100% Canadian developed, engineered, and built Project Arrow EV. It's a multi-year collaboration by Canadian universities, students, and the Automotive Parts Manufacturers' Association (they have money) of Canada. If not them, then the EcoJet prototyp being developed by Bombardier. Both were showcased at the 2023 CNE.

This is a the perfect place for Toronto to showcase Canadian innovation and know how to the world.

Project Arrow
1699383355994.png

Bombardier Blended Wing Body EcoJet designed to cut emissions in half

1699383508626.png

Last edited:
If we're to devote space at a prime location to showcasing technology surely it should be Canadian technology rather than worshipping Apple, a massively wealthy foreign corporation? Put a showroom in there for the 100% Canadian developed, engineered, and built Project Arrow EV. It's a multi-year collaboration by Canadian universities, students, and the Automotive Parts Manufacturers' Association (they have money) of Canada. If not them, then the EcoJet prototyp being developed by Bombardier. Both were showcased at the 2023 CNE.

This is a the perfect place for Toronto to showcase Canadian innovation and know how to the world.

Project Arrow
View attachment 518589
Bombardier Blended Wing Body EcoJet designed to cut emissions in half

View attachment 518592

This is just the Tesla idea all over again.

This is just the Tesla idea all over again.

Wow,, you couldn't be more off the mark if you tried. First of all, there were loads of EV companies around the world years before Musk and Tesla came along. Secondly, a ton of innovative ideas and very impressive home grown technology has gone into every inch of that car. You'd be closer to the truth if you said Tesla was the knock off.

You're being awfully dismissive of something you've obviously not bothered looking into.

Last edited:

Back