Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Two random questions,

1. Since those safety nets went up (not sure what to call them , right above the big black scarf that surrounds the building) is that an indication that Fruity Inc wants to open their store before the building is finished?
These protective nets have been up and moving up among the different floors for the last 2 years so they are just there to catch falling debris. If the lower floors were to open prior to tower completion a more sturdy platform would be erected. I think they will attach that to the first mechanical section on floor 17.
2. It seems like a large portion of the tower is mostly done and just needs cladding, is there are reason they havent started bringing in the curtain wall again? Supply issues maybe?
Who said they stopped the installation? First, they had to install the climbing protection platform and now you can actually see in some of the pictures in the last couple of pages that they are installing those walls behind the platform.

Last edited:
These protective nets have been up and moving among up on different floors for the last 2 years so they are just there to catch falling debris. If the lower floors were to open prior to tower completion a more sturdy platform would erected. I think they will attach that to the first mechanical section on floor 17.

Who said they stopped the installation? First, they had to install the climbing protection platform and now you can actually see in some of the pictures in the last couple of pages that they are installing those walls behind the platform.
Thanks for the quick responses! Very informative

Here are some pictures taken today. They are doing a concrete pour on the perimeter of the floor slab only for some reason.

20230811_104515.jpg
20230811_104535.jpg
20230811_140011.jpg
20230811_140031.jpg

Last edited:
As this development is using the black covered platforms that will rise with the glazing installation, will they need to also build a canopy above the fruit store similar to the one that was built at Aura and shown below.

View attachment 497698
Yes, but the canopy will be affixed above the last hotel floor at the first mechanical section.

^ This mystery may live solely in my scrambled eggs brain... but did I miss something?

@BloorMan's photo really shows how much open space there is surrounding the concrete mechanical box/space itself, especially the corners.

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/attachments/20230811_104535-jpg.499339/

Didn't notice it before but the previous 94 storey rendering (and others) appears to have a glass balcony guard around the perimeter of the mech level... suggesting public/resident access?? Maybe I was asleep and this has been discussed. 😴

mech-level2.jpg

Any clarification welcome with thanks.

^ This mystery may live solely in my scrambled eggs brain... but did I miss something?

@BloorMan's photo really shows how much open space there is surrounding the concrete mechanical box/space itself, especially the corners.

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/attachments/20230811_104535-jpg.499339/

Didn't notice it before but the previous 94 storey rendering (and others) appears to have a glass balcony guard around the perimeter of the mech level... suggesting public/resident access?? Maybe I was asleep and this has been discussed. 😴

View attachment 499391

Any clarification welcome with thanks.

If you look at the below image cropped from a previously posted image by @Benito , you see that the floor has the same attachments as those used to affix the regular cladding. So I think these will be used to attach some sort of railing or wall.

IMG_4588.jpeg

Does anyone know the cost to build this building and why it's taking so long? If 160 Front cost $800M and was built pretty quickly is this job in the billions? I don't get the point of the over-design of this construction method, why not just use steel instead of concrete.

Photos taken today, Friday (Aug. 11). As mentioned by Rascacielo above, an exciting milestone has been reached as the first "climb" of the Rail Climbing System (RCS) has been done. Seems this happened either today or Thursday, judging by photos in previous posts. The east RCS is now up to floor 8, if I have the floor count correct, the north RCS looks like it has the 7th floor cladding all in place and presumably will climb up as well very soon, and the west RCS already at floor 8 as it was placed there originally. So, we can expect all three RCSs to be lined up on the same level for the first time - maybe it's even happened since I was there mid-afternoon!

Starting with my weekly "time-lapse" photo - the corner scaffolds and the super-column scaffolds up one level from my last post a week ago - then shots of the first installation of the 8th-floor skin on the south face (hard to get a clear view from the street), to the newly raised east RCS and the NE corner, and north RCS, all with 7th-floor cladding now in place. The west face has yet to add the final cladding. Then, some more wide shots from outside Holt Renfrew on Bloor (where you can glimpse the unfinished 7th floor on the west side), and from Cumberland east of Bay.

My "time-lapse" album link on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jer1961/albums/72157718725607562

UTIMG_9056.jpg
UTIMG_9133.jpg
UTIMG_9088.jpg
UTIMG_9334.jpg
UTIMG_9338.jpg
UTIMG_9105.jpg
UTIMG_9380.jpg
UTIMG_9372.jpg
UTIMG_9250.jpg
UTIMG_9281.jpg

Does anyone know the cost to build this building and why it's taking so long? If 160 Front cost $800M and was built pretty quickly is this job in the billions? I don't get the point of the over-design of this construction method, why not just use steel instead of concrete.
I read early on that is was $1 B. But I'm guessing it will end up closer to $2 B.

Concrete is stronger than steel and due to the unique ground level requirements, construction has been very complicated and slow. The pace has picked up considerably over the past few months though.

Back