Toronto The Garrison at The Yards | ?m | 12s | Onni Group | Wallman Architects

the more i pass by the location, the more i seem to like it...

the sales office is well under way and looks like it could be finished in a few more weeks.

the more i pass by the location, the more i seem to like it...

I agree. When you first look at it, it's ridiculously close to the Gardiner. But if you think about having one of the north-facing units with a preserved view of Fort York, you wouldn't even really notice that that the Gardiner is there.

And once the neighbourhood gets filled in a little more and Bremner/Fort York Blvd. is opened up, it will be a decent location.

I agree. When you first look at it, it's ridiculously close to the Gardiner. But if you think about having one of the north-facing units with a preserved view of Fort York, you wouldn't even really notice that that the Gardiner is there.
Unless you open your window and hear it.

Great location, but my only concern is the odour from the Quality Meats Toronto abattoir which im hoping wont be there for very long.

I live in this 'hood and the smell of the abattoir is not nearly as bad as advertised. I live to the east of it, which should be smellier than to the south (wind patterns, lake etc.) where this building is located, and it really just gets bad a few days a year in the summer. In any case, I'm confident it won't be there 10 years from now anyway.

Pricing?

Does anyone have pricing info for this project yet? Received a post card advertising "From Just $189,900". No answer at the sales office, and kind of out of the way just to drop in only to find the pricing is out of my budget...
Checked out the floor plans, looking at 2 bedroom units 737 square feet or 784 square feet.

I have seen the prices for their units. They just opened the sales office. 2 br units are starting from mid $300K...not bad for the location!

interesting article in today's National Post....

Garrison at the Yards

When Vancouver-based developer Onni Group of Companies snatched up a parcel of property at Fort York Boulevard and Bathurst Street, the most important design element became appeasing the neighbours. That is because Fort York, an historic site museum and home to Canada’s largest collection of original War of 1812 buildings, is situated right next door.

“The Fort’s success lies in its architecture’s direct expressiveness, the somewhat random placement of its buildings, and its sense of maintaining an edge against the advancing city,” says Rudy Wallman of Wallman Architects. “All of these characteristics must be reflected in the new building if it is to become a worthy neighbour to the Fort and make evident the Fort’s significance to passersby. At the same time, the new building must express the aspirations of its occupants, many of whom are attracted to the building because of its location and unique views over the expanse of the Fort.”

Since city guidelines insisted construction cannot cast shadows on the fort, Garrison at the Yards will be a midrise. The eight-storey podium, which Onni spokesperson Sue Young describes as “shaped like a boomerang,” will feature a pattern of vertical panels of red brick that pick up on Fort York’s heritage elements. The randomly spaced panels flank the balconies and create a rustic effect against the four floors of glass above. The retail space at grade will have a glass curtain wall with recessed entrances, which Mr. Wallman says will provide visual breaks in an otherwise continuous expanse of glass.

With the Gardiner Expressway close by, the south wall was given special treatment. Prefinished aluminum panels will create a two-tone colour pattern reflecting the random brick piers on the east and north façades and will also capture a sense of the movement inherent in the passing vehicular traffic. Says Mr. Wallman: “The pattern is arranged in a Morse code message that welcomes passersby to the Fort York neighbourhood.”

Garrison at the Yards is the first building in Onni’s master-planned community called The Yards that will add 1,100 residences to the Fort York neighbourhood.

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/homes/Fabulous+facades/3678564/story.html#ixzz12ZJjM1QS

Technically, West Harbour City has retail as well. Let's see how many CRUs or the total square feet before will get excitied

Technically, West Harbour City has retail as well. Let's see how many CRUs or the total square feet before will get excited

Where do you see retail in WHC? Do you mean the work/live units that look like regular condo units? Are work/live units considered suitable for retail? Can you put retail in them? What exactly are they? I know City Place has them too but they just seem to be used as regular apartments. I figured they could be used as offices or an artist's studio but can they be used as a store?

They're used as realtor's offices ... does that count? :) I think there might also be a dry cleaner. So no, not exactly exciting retail!

Don't think this has been posted yet:

img2.jpg

Back