Toronto The Dineen Building | ?m | 5s | Commercial Realty G. | George Robb

Either that, or a beatnik-style place, daddy-o

Coffee-Shop.jpg

Crazy.

What's a "New York" style coffee shop? That's not a city known for coffee shops, unlike Vienna, for instance.

I'm picturing something like the coffee shop on Seinfeld. Serves food, more like a diner but not quite a deli, coffee is actually secondary despite the name.

Vienna is not known for its coffee shops per se either. It's known for cafés - a world of difference.

I put New York in quotes as that is what the owner of the building referred to it as. What it means I guess we can all wait to see. Not a chain, which is the main thing.

While I was in New York City, I visited Lenny's - http://www.lennysnyc.com/main.asp .

Serves all types of sandwiches (Reuben, Pastrami, Corn beef etc), soups, bagels, salads and also has coffee. So I am assuming something like this would be considered "New York" style. I always thought a Lenny's would work great in the downtown core. This location seems perfect for such an establishment.

I'm picturing something like the coffee shop on Seinfeld. Serves food, more like a diner but not quite a deli, coffee is actually secondary despite the name.

Vienna is not known for its coffee shops per se either. It's known for cafés - a world of difference.

Vienna is known for coffee houses. Paris is known for cafes. New York, while having interesting examples of both that have appeared in pop culture, does not seem to have an iconic style known around the world.

Vienna is known for coffee houses. Paris is known for cafes. New York, while having interesting examples of both that have appeared in pop culture, does not seem to have an iconic style known around the world.

I'm familiar with the Viennese style of coffee house, which, locally and elsewhere, is also known as a café. I see less difference between the Viennese type of establishment and the archetypal (Parisian) café than between either of those and the New York 'coffee shop', which, although being less formalized and having no defined set of features, is at least familiar throughout North America. I'm not sure the tenant was necessarily going for 'iconic' so much as providing a general idea of what to expect.

Front page story with lots of new photos of the interior here.

If I might have an issue, it's with the apparent gut-rebuildesque nature of a lot of the interior--and the fact that through the front door you're greeted by security, drywall and an elevator rather than the open stairs of old proves it. (Then again, I can see how the tattered old order might have been deemed a write-off.)

Great vantage point - thanks for those Atlantis!

I second that. You will have a great view of Bay-Adelaide East going up

Hey sMT, unfortunately I don't actually work in that building full time. I spent a few days running a commercial downsizing on that floor, so I just took the opportunity to experience the great views while it lasted! :)

Here are some more from street level. Crane was still on site today:

8278541209_be9b88c20e_b.jpg

8279604008_478f1294f7_b.jpg

8279603236_33238fd9ee_b.jpg

8278544923_9de522201e_b.jpg

8278542119_a2bb83d9e1_b.jpg

8278544085_4fe94d65d1_b.jpg

Back