Hamilton The Design District 41 | ?m | 31s | Emblem Developments | Arcadis

We all bitch and complain because we aren't seeing development, now we do and we bitch and complain. No cornices, not the right developers etc etc. No wonder the city had an identity crisis. Just bitching and complaining its the same on SSP.
:rolleyes:😁

I feel targeted LOL

Mind you, a city WITH cornices having an identity crisis imo is better than one WITHOUT cornices :p

The days of Hamilton being a ‘Beggers Can’t Be Choosers’ city is long gone. That ended in the early 2010s.

During those days, we got garbage developments like Caroline & Market, or the old Spec Lofts on King William.

“At least somethings getting built downtown” was the narrative.

Now with the housing/affordability crisis, a huge increase in population around Toronto, as well as some domestic things like Steelport, the City is in the driver’s seat.

They/We should absolutely be demanding Affordable Units, Family-Sized Units, Privately-Owned Public Spaces (POPS), ‘Third Place’ Amenities like retail/commercial space, and better overall design.

Again, the City is in the driver’s seat. It’s not like developer’s are going to say “screw this we’ll just build in Mississauga”… there’s no land left!
here here!

Well said my friend. And yes that building on king william.. *shudders*

No more settling for whatever, lets build designs with the existing ancient period look in mind - old on the bottom new on the top - everyones happy then. We just want something beautiful to look at from street level. What exists above.. well.. we do have SOME standards.. none of that boxy cut out crap like theyre proposing by main where stintons failed project was gonna go..

here here!

Well said my friend. And yes that building on king william.. *shudders*

No more settling for whatever, lets build designs with the existing ancient period look in mind - old on the bottom new on the top - everyones happy then. We just want something beautiful to look at from street level. What exists above.. well.. we do have SOME standards.. none of that boxy cut out crap like theyre proposing by main where stintons failed project was gonna go..
then the Centurion slips in ....

I am still of the opinion that this is one of the most unlikely areas of the downtown to develop (maybe beacuse my entire life this has been nothing but surface parking lots). With what is, 9 towers u/c or proposed within a one minute walk , I a thrilled to be wrong. My bets would have been all the sites straddling the Huner GO station (guess they are starting with 75 James S)

then the Centurion slips in ....

I am still of the opinion that this is one of the most unlikely areas of the downtown to develop (maybe beacuse my entire life this has been nothing but surface parking lots). With what is, 9 towers u/c or proposed within a one minute walk , I a thrilled to be wrong. My bets would have been all the sites straddling the Huner GO station (guess they are starting with 75 James S)
Seems like this are is ironically being developed first. I think it makes sense considering it's location to the West Harbour and James St N area. Developers are looking to earn the most profit and will seek out the areas that are "cool" and have access to things like transit. Hip areas are easiest to sell to young people looking to buy condos, or young people looking to rent out condos owned by investors.

This building is 100% sold on it's adjacency to James North and being walking distance from West Harbour giving GO access to Toronto. It's basically perfectly located in Hamilton for someone to live car-free or car-light.

IMG_2117.png

lol it almost looks like it's right beside the alectra building in that render.. had to look twice..

yup. This has 495 parking spaces for 931 units across the three towers, so a relatively low parking ratio for the 905. All accommodated in 7 levels of above-grade parking in the podium levels, wrapped with residential units so as to not be visible from the street.

The podium is going to be huge here as a result - it will roughly be the height of the adjacent Trinity Lutheran Church spire according to the elevations.

Looking at the architectural plans again, it does identify a "phase 1" and "phase 2", with the two eastern towers being the "phase 1".

They have done the piling for the third tower, but I suspect based on that, it won't actually be built until Emblem can sell it.

Do most Hamilton projects have parking above ground? And if so why?
City doesn't prohibit it like in Toronto.

Until recently development in Hamilton was very financially challenging - permitting above-grade parking helps with finances as it costs (from my understanding) roughly half as much as underground parking to build per space.

Downtown Hamilton has low parking requirements for the 905, being about 0.5 spaces per unit (roughly), but it's still a lot higher than in Toronto and development generally still has to contend with constrained urban sites like in Toronto.

Hamilton also has an unusually high water table from my understanding which makes underground in much of the downtown even more difficult. Not to say it can't be done, but it takes $$$. Cobalt had huge dewatering issues when building it's 4-level underground garage.

Basically every major project going up in Downtown Hamilton has above-grade parking, but it's usually pretty well shielded from the street so you wouldn't realize it looking at the projects. Cobalt, 75 James, 1 Jarvis, 41 Wilson, etc. all have above-grade parking.

The one exception is Television City, which is will have 5-levels of underground parking.

Back