Toronto The Dawes | 126.48m | 38s | Marlin Spring | Arcadis

Project known as "The Dawes":

How creative. I hope they didn't pay some consulting firm thousands for that amazing name.

We've talked about the value of reflecting area heritage in condo names before.

The corner of Dawes and Danforth was once known as Coleman's Corner for an early hotelier (Charles Coleman) at the intersection in question.

That might have made for an interesting reference.

Source: https://www.beachesliving.ca/pages/index.php?act=landmark&id=123

More permits in progress:

1645466467958.png

Reactions: PMT
Rendering without the marketing text, and a closer up to the buildings:

47443-142312.jpg

47443-142317.jpg

Once the project sees occupancy it's going cause more overcrowding and congestion in the TTC Main Street Station. Of course we already have that issue sometimes at rush hour.
Aside from this project we also have Linux Condos which will complete in a year or so and there is a smaller Danny Danforth condos too. The 90 Eastdale in future will also have new residents. So all that density will be felt at the Main-Danforth intersection and station will be running out of capacity too soon.
Although some people may take the GO if they are going to Union or on rout to Oshawa, most people will either do TTC or buy a car, and that also means more traffic jams, violations, parking issues, etc.
Some years ago City put in all the bicycle tracks as a new way of encouraging people and also added car parking spot markings. All that is not helping because Danforth Avenue is now a one-lane road with longer bumper to bumper traffic.
The Danforth beaches area was a great place for new people and families to live, work and settle, but gradually turning in to an urban jungle and infrastructure is not keeping up. IMO there should be more train or street car or bus frequency to manage the growth here.

Once the project sees occupancy it's going cause more overcrowding and congestion in the TTC Main Street Station. Of course we already have that issue sometimes at rush hour.
Aside from this project we also have Linux Condos which will complete in a year or so and there is a smaller Danny Danforth condos too. The 90 Eastdale in future will also have new residents. So all that density will be felt at the Main-Danforth intersection and station will be running out of capacity too soon.
Although some people may take the GO if they are going to Union or on rout to Oshawa, most people will either do TTC or buy a car, and that also means more traffic jams, violations, parking issues, etc.
Some years ago City put in all the bicycle tracks as a new way of encouraging people and also added car parking spot markings. All that is not helping because Danforth Avenue is now a one-lane road with longer bumper to bumper traffic.
The Danforth beaches area was a great place for new people and families to live, work and settle, but gradually turning in to an urban jungle and infrastructure is not keeping up. IMO there should be more train or street car or bus frequency to manage the growth here.

I live in the area as well. I supported and continue to support the cycle tracks; and I'm a driver and car owner as well.

Main Street station is relatively large and is not in danger of serious capacity constraints in the near term.

More frequent buses will keep crowds manageable.

It would be useful to add a down escalator path (the station has ample room, but only up escalators currently); it would also benefit from a second and possibly a third exit from the platforms, first to Barrington and Coleman, next to the park; and later to the west side of Main beside the park.

There is an imperative need to rebuild Secord Elementary school which has more than a dozen portable classrooms and has for 20 years +

There also needs to be some investment in new parks and other facilities. But I think new development here is just fine overall.

Now that said, I'm not particularly keen on the architectural expression here, or the silly small park tacked on to the east end of the site.

New renderings are updated in the database. There is new project information added to the database. The overall building storey count changed from 41 and 24 storeys to 38 & 24 storeys. Total building height changed from 76.30m & 126.80m to 126.48m & 81.40m. The total unit count changed from 616 units to 631 units. Finally, the total parking space count changed from 285 parking to 178 parking.

Renderings are taken from the architectural plan via Rezoning submission:

4snOpXBF9s.jpeg

NiZOdqxIqU.jpeg

ULDvzxElhK.jpeg

yzPdw29sDR.jpeg

There's ample proof that with a good developer, IBI isn't inherently bad. Marlin Spring, however, is not a good developer. This looks like shit.
I don’t love it, but we’re not getting Ghery Towers in this part of town. I think there are lots of missed opportunities between this, 9 Dawes, the Fitzrovia project at main and the Raw project at the Canadian tire site - both from a architectural and planning perspective but more so from a public realm standpoint. But, it’s something and it’s moving (?) This part of town needs development, so I’ll concede my desire to see a better architectural product to see some new life breathed into the area. I just hope they get the public realm figured out so its a community not just density.

Back