Toronto Ten York Street Condos | 224.02m | 65s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

In the US there are sometimes up to 20% affordable housing in a condo. This will become the new normal in Toronto. Get used to it; get over it.

Yes, in other words: Shut up slaves!

:rolleyes:

In the US there are sometimes up to 20% affordable housing in a condo. This will become the new normal in Toronto. Get used to it; get over it.

I have no problem at all.

Just make sure in the project advertisement, let potential buyers know that 20% of their neighbours in the same building will pay less than half of what they do, and they will need to subsidize them on the condo fees each month as well.

I am sure buyers will be thrilled and get used to it in no time.

This is not the US and it never will be. Our middle class is way bigger, and our $$$ will do the talking. I grew up in a communist country, and let me tell you, this is exactly what this sounds like to me. So NO, low income families should not live in a building with million dollar condos. And they shouldn't expect too. Equality or not, those would be some ridiculous expectations. Leave where you can afford, not where you want. Some people pay premium prices to be in exclusive buildings. If you can only afford a bicycle, don't expect the government to subsidize a BMW for you.....

I have nothing against sharing a building with anyone, but what is the grand plan for encouraging this sort of mix? Is it diversity for community's sake? I'm not sure this is the best way to do it. Mixed or not, nobody will talk to anybody anyway. Not because they don't want to, but how often do you find yourself chatting with people on the elevator?

Many residents where I live chat or make small talk with each other in the elevators, laundry room or while waiting for an elevator - it's a great way to get to know your neighbours and you know what? It's infectious. I live in a large 430 unit rental building, I know everyone on my floor (16 suites) and it's a really friendly building. It would be an even stronger and friendlier community here if there wasn't such high turnover of students and transplants but that's another matter.
If this trend expands, and I hope it does, I think developers should disclose to buyers/investors that "x" amount of suites will be co-operative/affordable housing as creating mixed income communities as opposed to ghettoizing people into low income neighbourhoods is clearly the better option for everyone. We learned decades ago that ghettoizing lower income people and families is a terrible failure.

I have no problem at all.

Just make sure in the project advertisement, let potential buyers know that 20% of their neighbours in the same building will pay less than half of what they do, and they will need to subsidize them on the condo fees each month as well.

I am sure buyers will be thrilled and get used to it in no time.

Stop the freak out. The 12 units are rental housing - there is no subsidy for purchasing or maintenance fees. It sounds like Tridel will own the units and rent them at below market rates. It's not much different than an investor buying a few units and renting them out for less than his/her carrying costs. And by 2017 when these units are finally ready, that could very well be reality.

sounds like Tridel will own the units and rent them at below market rates. It's not much different than an investor buying a few units and renting them out for less than his/her carrying costs.

Renting out a condo for below carrying cost would certainly be below market value. It's likely that tridel will only charge condo fees and not make a profit off these units, thus putting them below market value while still ensuring that all residents are paying a fair share of building fees.

I would be pissed off big time if I bought here only to find out later subsidized housing was offered. Why should I spend over half a million on a condo, and someone with very little income gets to live here for peanuts? If you have very little money why would your housing expectation be a high end condo with a prime lake view?
I read that TCHC will own and manage these units. Imagine the Ten York condo corridor with ripped up mattresses and needles all around and TCHC oblivious to the complaints from residents lol

that is being a little dramatic. 12 units will likely house no more than 25 people in it, and will be unnoticeable in the crowd of thousands and thousands of new residents that will be living in this area in the coming years. I would be much more concerned about partying University students throwing beer bottles off of their 30th floor deck. not to mention the fact that TCHC housing does not exclusively contain drug addicts.

I read that TCHC will own and manage these units. Imagine the Ten York condo corridor with ripped up mattresses and needles all around and TCHC oblivious to the complaints from residents lol

That comment is ignorant, unnecessary and just plain offensive.

Sorry it's being run by CHFT as a co-op not TCHC, huge difference in that alone as the general perception of TCHC is they are not good property managers and too many complaints fall on deaf ears

Ten York 3 bedroom 3A rendering

Here's a rendering of the 3 bedroom 3A which is on the west side of the Ten York building. The 3A suite design runs from the 29th floor to the 62nd floor. 2 more renderings can be found on the Ten York image gallery.

Suite-3A_cam07_crop-1200w.jpg

3a_floor.gif

Attachments

• Suite-3A_cam07_crop-1200w.jpg
    Suite-3A_cam07_crop-1200w.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 310
Agreed. Unfortunately, barely functional kitchens seem to be the norm in most new condo construction. I guess there aren't enough of us condo dwellers out there that actually like to cook.

Agreed. Unfortunately, barely functional kitchens seem to be the norm in most new condo construction. I guess there aren't enough of us condo dwellers out there that actually like to cook.

No kidding - there is no more than 30" of counter space between the sink and the stove - pretty sad.

A moveable island might help.

Back