Toronto Ten York Street Condos | 224.02m | 65s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

I've already given my advice ... on twitter. I say hold off 'til Spring 2013 minimum or fall on your face looking like a fool.

I dont know about that, even in these doom and gloom times, its a pretty hot condo market area ....., im going to say market it in October/November and have it 50-75% sold by the end of spring

Even in a slower market in T.O. it is still enough to sell, albeit at a slower pace than everyone is used to. The location should guarantee good sales within 6 months.

Why have good sales within 6 months when you can have off-the-charts sales a year from now? If developers are smart they will let demand pent up again to keep their sales prices high.

How much did this municipal parking lot sell for?

No idea, but there will be significant soft costs in addition to the purchase price of the lot. We also don't know what opportunity costs there would be in having capital essentially sit idle. I don't know a thing about the financial situation of the developer, but do know that in general developers want to start recouping their investments sooner rather than later. They may also not believe that the market will be significantly enough hotter next year to cover the increased costs caused by a delay. You might notice that I put a question mark after my remark about carrying costs. That's because I know absolutely nothing about Tridel's thinking. It does seem to me, however, that a decision to delay sales is far from a no-brainer.

There are several important factors for Tridel regarding this development, but having this project brought to market before Harbour Plaza Residences would be key to achieving their sales targets.

That's fantastic news! Perhaps we will now see some further developed renderings of the new proposal!

Replacing the Yonge/York/Bay off ramps with a Simcoe off ramp is, I believe, essential to create a cohesive feel to the area: buildings to the west (WaterClub), the northwest (Ten York), the north (One York, Harbour Plaza Residences), the northeast (Harbour Commissioners redevelopment to be determined), the east (RBC at WPP III), the southeast (Harbour Square), the south (York Quay), and the southwest (Queens Quay Terminal) will now surround an inviting public park/square, inside of surrounding a couple of off ramps with a rather uninviting greenspace within the tangle of overhead roads.

Thank goodness the planning department's recommended approval of One York/Harbour Plaza Residences comes with money to get going on the ramp replacement and park improvements. I wonder if money from Ten York will also be put towards this double goal.

I'm really glad to hear the ramp is coming down. I'll miss the spiral ramp a bit - coming off the Gardiner onto it and circling downward was always one of those "Now you've arrived" moments.
Still, getting the park opened up will be an noteable plus for visitors and residents alike - not to mention helping the aesthetics and atmosphere of the area. It's great how this is all worked out.
I can't wait to see York Street Built out fully to the lake.

One thing about Southcore - one can beak about the quality of the glass architecture, but one can't deny that it has brought new life to the front of the city. I was down there there other night on Bremner, and the crowds were everywhere - the sidewalks were full, and everyone seemed to be in a good mood. The area's getting a really active and happy streetlife, which is great to see.

The sheer amount of people living and working in Toronto's waterfont once many of these proposals have been built will do some serious good to the city. Just think about the number of people who would have otherwise never left their cars and malls who will get the chance to learn and appreciate the urban lifestyle.

These changes will be felt the most in coming generations - as apartment buildings won't be inherently stigmatised as they once were.

Back