Toronto Ten York Street Condos | 224.02m | 65s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

And Calgary has 10 built office towers (including the Bow) over 40 stories and 23 office towers between 30-39 stories. Albeit the the towers in Calgary tend to be shorter than those in Toronto and Chicago.

I was glad to see in the report what seems to me as though the city is holding out for proper path connections for this building, despite a lack of interest on the part of the builder

Calgary likely has (or will be the end of year) more office space under construction then anywhere in North America ...

i still think this is the weakest design out of all the recent 200m+ proposals in the last year or so. in fact, this is worse than Casa 2 imo, .. what kills this for me is that awkward podium. and how it's a box on top of a triangular podium. it's weird and off balance.

'Cause everybody hates how that worked out in the past:

pure_spirit.JPG

what kills this for me is that awkward podium. and how it's a box on top of a triangular podium. it's weird and off balance.

The compulsion among Toronto developers (and associated architects) to place a square peg into any kind of non-square hole (be it round, ovular, triangular, rhomboid) is overwhelming and, apparently, incurable. Sometimes referred to as "Torboxitis.

I don't mind that it's more or less a box, but why not simply rotate it 45° so that it both reflect the shape of the site and appear to be a flat iron when approaching from the Gardiner?

The difference between Ten York and Pure Spirit seems to be in the setback of the tower and its shorter height. The podium becomes the focal point with the tower simply present in the background. Pure Spirit is borderline problematic in the lack of compatibility between the pointed flatiron-style podium and the boxy tower, but it was well handled with the proportions. At Ten York, it definitely looks like it will be jarring because of how imposing the tower will surely be at 75 storeys. The tower needs a rethink. At least the suggested 45 degree rotation would align its points with that of the podium, but it still would probably look odd.

Calgary likely has (or will be the end of year) more office space under construction then anywhere in North America ...

Well they're starting from 0, and Toronto has something like 2.8 million square feet under-construction as we speak. Then on top of that we have a 1 million square feet of medical and science research towers under construction which Calgary won't be getting this year, or any year in the near or distant future. From a standing start it will be tough for Calgary to catch Toronto, when the biggest project there has to wait another 6 months for evictions, and then another 6 months for demolition before excavation even gets underway.

Calgary will never catch toronto in terms of number of skyscrapers, but in terms of OFFICE buildings they are at about the same right now and will probably continue to be. That was the point being made.

Calgary will never catch toronto in terms of number of skyscrapers, but in terms of OFFICE buildings they are at about the same right now and will probably continue to be. That was the point being made.

Nope, they're still quite far behind in terms of the amount of office space in the core.

Back