Toronto Telus House - 25 York Street | 136.24m | 30s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Would help if the Union Station sign is accompanied by logos of the rail agencies served by the station.

I am sure VIA, GO, and TTC logos will show up as smaller (hopefully MUCH smaller) signage, if not then at least as decals on the windows. It's still too early for all that.

That stone wall to the right seems like the prime location for TTC / GO / VIA signage. Likely custom shaped backlit boxes located higher up so they can e seen over crowds.

i'm really looking forward to the public art component of this building. i saw some renderings/animations and it really looks quite amazing.

All of the heating is enclosed underneath the elevated floors on each level. I believe that they have borrowed this design technique from the Romans as they had something similar for heating their residences called a 'Hypercourse'.

The design of the HVAC being under the floor is part of achieving LEED certification. It is more efficient than traditional ceiling vents, which cannot be individually controlled by workers to regulate temperatures. It creates a more comfortable environment for those using the building, while helping to save energy.

I believe that they have borrowed this design technique from the Romans as they had something similar for heating their residences called a 'Hypercourse'.

Hypocaust.

Oct 20

You would think this was at night, not 10 am. Wish the weather was better for this shoot.
IMG_oct-20-09-0024.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0046.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0048.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0084.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0089.jpg

Do tell more!

i didn't find anything substatial on google unfortuently, but the artist selected for the piece is Michael Awad. he had a lecture at the ryerson arch building a couple weeks back showing his work with photography, architecture and recently, installations including the piece that hangs in the ontario science centre.

it's kind of hard to describe what the installation is, but it's basically 1000s of LEDs that are arranged in a cube volume which will act like a 3d screen, if that makes any sense. the videos which will be "projected" through the LEDs will be of urban life in toronto. so things like people walking on the sidewalk and streetcars passing by.

if anyone is able to get close to the lobby, they should be installing it as we speak.

That sounds amazing. Kinda sorta in the same ballpark as the face screen in Chicago (which I find kind of weird tbqhwy).

Wow that does sound pretty awesome!
I've never gone into any of the downtown office buildings really. Are they open to the public to just go inside and look around? By that I mean the lobbies.

Wow that does sound pretty awesome!
I've never gone into any of the downtown office buildings really. Are they open to the public to just go inside and look around? By that I mean the lobbies.

yup, most of them that are connected to PATH are opened right to the elevators, usually you need an access card to use the elevators, but to that point they are generally open to the public, many of them 24 hours too such as the big5 bank towers. Some of the lobbies are quite splendid, like scotia and bmo, very wealthy looking, cibc's security/reception desk and its ominous blue light has a simpler but interesting Kubrick feel to it..

Yes, you can go into most of them and wander around. Although, security staff will harass you sometimes if you're taking a lot of photos.

edit: beaten.

In London I tried walking into the Gherkin and was promptly shown the door by security. He was nice enough to give me a postcard of the building with all sorts of facts about it.

Back