Hamilton Television City | ?m | 32s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

It's a waler, a strut which keeps the walls from collapsing inward. Employed when developers weren't able to get tieback agreements with your neighbours.

Probably more likely because tie backs wouldn't be possible in this location. I did see them installing tie backs under the old house at the northeast corner, but nowhere else. I guess because there are parking garages on the other sides, and the rail tunnel along Hunter. Tight spot!

Probably more likely because tie backs wouldn't be possible in this location. I did see them installing tie backs under the old house at the northeast corner, but nowhere else. I guess because there are parking garages on the other sides, and the rail tunnel along Hunter. Tight spot!
Excellent point. I completely forgot that this is borders Hunter on the south side.

It's a waler, a strut which keeps the walls from collapsing inward. Employed when developers weren't able to get tieback agreements with your neighbours.
Yep. Some sites in tight areas mobilize a whole bunch of these, like Westport Condos in Port Credit recently (below). TV City has a few underground levels I believe so it could also end up looking like the photo below by next spring.

1699925625679.png

The old and new offers a nice juxtaposition. Varied materials will make the view more interesting from high up... as someone that had unobstructed west view of the Toronto skyline for a decade it's beautiful seeing the contrast.
still not pleased they scaled down the podium to boring brick vs the exciting columns and glass it originally had..

Digging continues as of this afternoon. I was reminded going past today how incredibly lacking in commercial the Durand neighbourhood is despite being Hamilton's densest neighbourhood. Can someone remind me how much retail will this have?
View attachment 525949
Pretty sure zero, no? It's been long, long time since I've seen the site plan here.

Edit: apparently I'm wrong. Does anyone have the site plan and architecture docs?

The permit says ground floor retail apparently. It's pretty blurry, but this site plan from 2018 you can see four retail units of varying sizes. Three are in the condo towers ground floor, and one in the historic building. The retail in the historic building appears to be a restaurant, there is two patios associated with it.

Last edited:
The most recent plans I have of this project are dated September 23rd of 2022, and they indicate that there will be 1,027 square metres of commercial space on the ground floor. It looks like it will be divided up between 7 individual spaces in the podium, some facing Hunter and some fronting on to Caroline.

The 1,027 square metre number does not appear to include the space within the heritage Pinehurst building, but I can't say for sure right now as the spaces aren't given individual calculations on the drawings, and I don't have the ability to do an approximate measurement at the moment. I will check at a later date when I have the opportunity to do so.

The most recent plans I have of this project are dated September 23rd of 2022, and they indicate that there will be 1,027 square metres of commercial space on the ground floor. It looks like it will be divided up between 7 individual spaces in the podium, some facing Hunter and some fronting on to Caroline.

The 1,027 square metre number does not appear to include the space within the heritage Pinehurst building, but I can't say for sure right now as the spaces aren't given individual calculations on the drawings, and I don't have the ability to do an approximate measurement at the moment. I will check at a later date when I have the opportunity to do so.
Can you share?

Digging continues as of this afternoon. I was reminded going past today how incredibly lacking in commercial the Durand neighbourhood is despite being Hamilton's densest neighbourhood. Can someone remind me how much retail will this have?
View attachment 525949

Look at the soil colour!

Assuming no one spilled some red food colouring..........that looks to be a material iron deposit.

They don't call it the red hill for nothing! I think a fair amount of hamilton looks like this once you get deep enough.
The soil/clay in my backyard was like this when I dug down 4' for my fence. The clay was so pure I was able to form rudimentary clay spheres that we're rock hard once dry. They could likely be fired and made waterproof. Explains why everything is made of brick here.

Look at the soil colour!

Assuming no one spilled some red food colouring..........that looks to be a material iron deposit.
A lot of the western GTA has red clay soil as an FYI. If you watch development in Oakville, Burlington, and Hamilton, the red soil is far from unusual.

Back