Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

Well where is it?

It's not public yet; if you were registered in the working group you'd know what it looks like at this stage; but even then, the design continues to evolve bit by bit. I'm sure it won't be too much longer before the public gets a glimpse.

I understand not everyone has the same tastes in terms of design / structures and what not, but why would you wish for something to be canceled? Something like that has an economical impact beyond the structure not being built.

Because our city is hardly in need of any development it can get just for the sake of it. In fact, I would argue that the city hall's reckless rate of approvals of large projects the last few years has put a great strain on our infrastructure. We constantly see more condos built but we're not seeing many upgrades to sewer systems or transit.

Our city is doing very well economically/ in terms of development and would hardly be hurting if 501 Yonge was, for some reason, not built.

Last edited:
Because our city is hardly in need of any development it can get just for the sake of it. In fact, I would argue that the city hall's reckless rate of approvals of large projects the last few years has put a great strain on our infrastructure. We constantly see more condos built but we're not seeing many upgrades to sewer systems or transit.

Our city is doing very well economically and in terms of development and would hardly be hurting if 501 Yonge was, for some reason, not built.

Very Well said! ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure where you get the notion the city/province isn't investing heavily in infrastructure. It's visible everywhere including the subway tunnels.

So according to a notice posted in our complex all the new design does is knock a few floors off one tower. Same boxy oversized podium etc. In other word its a giant Murano. What a mess.

For those of you holding your breath for an amazing iconic non-boxy design it's probably time to breathe. This is not going to look different from the mass study line drawings.

Urban Toronto Classic: declaring failure based on renderings
Urban Toronto Diet: declaring failure based on elevation drawings
Urban Toronto Zero: declaring failure based on a simple description

Congratulations on making your declaration based on next-to-nothing, GrinTO! You get a Zero.

Urban Toronto Classic: declaring failure based on renderings
Urban Toronto Diet: declaring failure based on elevation drawings
Urban Toronto Zero: declaring failure based on a simple description

Congratulations on making your declaration based on next-to-nothing, GrinTO! You get a Zero.

No just on past history of the developer *******

No just on past history of the developer *******

Bull.
Ice and Burano are awesome projects. revise ur statement buddy.

It's not public yet; if you were registered in the working group you'd know what it looks like at this stage; but even then, the design continues to evolve bit by bit.

True but I'm not very concerned with the "bit by bit" on a development of this size, it needs a comprehensive design change.

Our city is doing very well economically/ in terms of development and would hardly be hurting if 501 Yonge was, for some reason, not built.

I agree, I would rather see no development than a huge, poorly designed complex like this.

501Yonge5b.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps we are better off discussing the merits of Murano & Burano until we see the next set of renderings for 501. Lanterra's Bay Street effort is far above other projects on the street with the possible exception of U condos.

The street level potential wont be realized until the balconies are repaired and protective scaffolding comes down. If both projects get interesting retail anchors I will be very happy with the result.

The rest of Bay from Dundas to St Joseph is pretty shabby in comparision.

The only hope for Yonge is as a crazy quilt comprised of finely restored Victorians - NONE of which should be razed from this point on - and eclectic infill where nothing currently exists. I would take this over another Marriott Courtyard any day. Yonge Street survives on chaos.
Since project sof this size are typically required to give back, the city shoudl require them to restore about 250-300 feet of Victorians somewhere lese along Yonge.

The only hope for Yonge is as a crazy quilt comprised of finely restored Victorians - NONE of which should be razed from this point on - and eclectic infill where nothing currently exists. I would take this over another Marriott Courtyard any day. Yonge Street survives on chaos.
Since project sof this size are typically required to give back, the city shoudl require them to restore about 250-300 feet of Victorians somewhere lese along Yonge.

Well said buildup. If these things must go up, I couldn't agree more.

Bull.
Ice and Burano are awesome projects. revise ur statement buddy.

Ice looks promising but we don't know yet, Murano is great (best glass) and Burano looks like a close second IMO. Remember that 501 has the huge above ground parking structure which (IMO) will greatly overwhelm the area and then the condos on top of that. Lopping a few floors off one building is... well, what's the point?

Ice looks promising but we don't know yet, Murano is great (best glass) and Burano looks like a close second IMO. Remember that 501 has the huge above ground parking structure which (IMO) will greatly overwhelm the area and then the condos on top of that. Lopping a few floors off one building is... well, what's the point?

We have seen a lot of ugly parking structures, and others in the making don't look too promising (cinema tower) but isn't the plan here to put the garage behind retail ???? A lot of people in this thread are making it seem like its going to be an exposed parking structure with condos on top. If the entrance to the parking garage is on Alexander or Maitland with retail fronting Yonge and some type of creative cladding for the remaining few floors of parking (along the lines of cinema tower but hopefully better), it wont be a big deal at all. Architecture aside, the only thing important to me is how the building meets the street, and what matters here is preserving street life. I still haven't seen a render so this is just optimism. Too early to make a judgement, and a line drawing plus the notion of above ground parking isn't enough for me to hop on the stop-501 Yonge bandwagon. Height isn't a factor for me either as long as the building is set back from the street in context with its surroundings. With all the intense highrise development in that area 50-60s makes sense, just not rising directly from the property line. Setbacks after 2 stories should be mandatory for all development on Yonge south of Bloor.

Last edited:
We have seen a lot of ugly parking structures, and others in the making don't look too promising (cinema tower) but isn't the plan here to put the garage behind retail ???? A lot of people in this thread are making it seem like its going to be an exposed parking structure with condos on top. If the entrance to the parking garage is on Alexander or Maitland with retail fronting Yonge and some type of creative cladding for the remaining few floors of parking (along the lines of cinema tower but hopefully better), it wont be a big deal at all. Architecture aside, the only thing important to me is how the building meets the street, and what matters here is preserving street life. I still haven't seen a render so this is just optimism. Too early to make a judgement, and a line drawing plus the notion of above ground parking isn't enough for me to hop on the stop-501 Yonge bandwagon. Height isn't a factor for me either as long as the building is set back from the street in context with its surroundings. With all the intense highrise development in that area 50-60s makes sense, just not rising directly from the property line. Setbacks after 2 stories should be mandatory for all development on Yonge south of Bloor.

It's a city block length of bulk for the parking area rising above on Yonge Street that has me so concerned - well, the whole project has me concerned but it's moving forward so I've got to get over it. It may have changed & might change yet but I believe parking access will be at back (east facing side), entrances to the two towers on Maitland and Alexander Sts., retail on Yonge and parking structure above. A couple of renderings going back a few months illustrated different potential techniques to beautifying the exterior of the parking area but bulk is bulk, a very unfriendly addition to an extremely busy and walkable street.

Back