Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

In what sense? It's right on the subway line in the middle of the heart of downtown and it shadows nothing of consequence. Are you worried that it will overpower the lowrise structures accross the street? Anything over 10 storeys would anyway so going beyond that height is moot.

This is how cities grow. Let's worry abut how the design meets the street.

It'll shadow a large residential area and park to the east late afternoon/evening, it contravenes the tall buildings guidelines and the height is totally out of context for the area. They can't get anything built east of the actual Wellesley subway station at more than 25 floors, I really don't think this thing will fly. But I won't lose any sleep over it, there are more important urban issues to worry about.

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/pdf/Tall-buildings-Final-pt4.pdf

Last edited:
Right on..i expected this all along (180m-220m) for this location, i wouldnt be surprised if one of the structures gets a couple more floors taged on once in the advanced planning stages.

I was hoping that this next round of proposals would have tried for even taller, but looks like the 50 something stories might be TO's filler for awhile, not too shabby I guess.

Given the precedent of Aura just south of here, it's hard to imagine there being a good case made for not going high at this site.

I've been pro-height for other areas / nodes of the downtown, to be sure, but I don't like the idea of 58 storeys times two at this site. As per dt's comments, they will overshadow a wonderful 'hood to the east, as stated in my prior posts about this.

.. if aA, I surely hope they uncork something new.

Last edited:
Isn't the neighbourhood to the east largely highrises itself? It's not like it will be shadowing low-rise residential.

Isn't the neighbourhood to the east largely highrises itself? It's not like it will be shadowing low-rise residential.

Yes. Highrises with charm, spacing, abundant greenery, and happy people :)

Nothing very tall in the area at present, a happy medium, and nothing that says "look at me", except for Vaseline Tower.

EDIT: I do get a bit fed up, oh, just sometimes, with the height-for-height's-sake sentiment that lurks. Granted that there are places downtown, south of Richmond, where things should go higher .... way way higher.

Last edited:
Yes. Highrises with charm, spacing, abundant greenery, and happy people :).

I'm sure the residents here are all lovely, but the buildings they live in already shadow the abundant green spaces.

And there is nothing that says 58 storey buildings can't have charm and be filled with their own happy people. Just sayin'...

I think I've gone on record in favour of a super-super-supertall at Front/Simcoe, and perhaps a compliment to 1 Bloor at the S/W corner of Bloor and Yonge, and (who knows) something like a 90 storey goody to replace 10 Dundas E... and there are several more good sites for some real height (and not just 58 storeys). I hope to see office buildings instead of condos in a few spots, too. But let's keep the identity of the wonderful gay village intact, if just a touch; although I know things have to change - change being the nature of this city.

Last edited:
Aura has definitely set the new height standards for future developments along Yonge Street. It was inevitable but great to see one of downtown Toronto's most out of place blocks redeveloped. The Yonge/College skyline (and one block radius) is going to rival the Y/Bloor skyline in the future. A (shorter) set of twin towers on top of a strong podium like Time Warner Centre (NYC) would look great here.

This is reminicent of the Yonge & Eglinton debate over Minto. What an upproar yet when I visited the area the buildings to be overshadowed were all 15-20 story apts.

I really like tall buildings. I'd like to see a regular bumper crop of one-thousand-plus foot buildings in the city. Even up to and around two thousand feet - in places where their scale can be placed in a pleasing and supportive context. There are lots of places that could work this way - a 'new financial' cluster with residential, down in and around the Portlands, for example. Or over certain subway stops. I'd like to see Toronto really push some of amazing aesthetics, technologies and engineering around height again. Get experimental.

Now all that out of the way - I don't think this spot on Yonge street is the place for the height proposed here. These buildings will be going up right next to humble victorian low-rise townhomes and right on a very narrow street that's already overloaded in its pedestrian capacity. I definitely think the site needs improvement and beautifying, but I think these buildings might come a something of a shock there.

I also worry that setting a new precedent for scale on Yonge that so hugely exceeds what is historically there will lead to the demolition of historic properties, or their reduction in importance - leading to their neglect. I think better infill and top-notch renovations on Yonge that are in keeping with it's peculiarly low scale will ultimately treat it better than aiming for a future alley of high-rises.

I think these buildings could be half the height here, tops, and still be plenty impressive.

Back