Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Is there any way we can we make the posting of this line a bannable offense? Mods?

What?? I guess we should check in the future to make sure our opinions don't differ from yours, My mistake.

I do believe that we have a problem in Toronto where demand is allowing developers to build poorly designed buildings simply because they will sell anyway. I would like to think that forums like this would allow people to express their frustration with this without the constant fear of upsetting Project End or are we all simply to fall in line?

Caltrane, great idea. Maybe it will show us sceptics something different than the last photo.
Time to chill a bit, grab a pint, and watch some football.

Is there any way we can we make the posting of this line a bannable offense? Mods?

ProjectEnd, why exactly is that sentence worthy of banning someone? Unless if I'm misunderstanding something here, I am very curious to know what your rationale is. And please, respond to this query as I'm trying to figure out what makes some people here think they can post comments like yours.

I think that's a reasonable question from city_lover. My take is that PEnd thought that BDad was trolling, meaning he was just being contrary for the sake of getting a rise out of people, stoke the flames, etc. That's bannable according to the rules. I expect that a couple of my posts may have been considered on the line, but it seems the Mods won't pull out the hammer unless you very clearly step across it. My take is that BDad has been rather exasperating because he seems to be ignoring evidence that raclll mentioned and which Mongo reiterated, and keeps pounding away nevertheless. PEnd's take was that had to be trolling. Looks like i42 just thinks it's less malicious than that though, and maybe just a display of willful disinterest in what anyone else has to contribute? Just guessing here, trying to figure it all out…

I've seen the south elevation that was posted it pretty much the same as the west , that's how I came the conclusion that the building is being depicted as square, ie - no curves to be seen.

I'm still at work putting together the Magazine, in doubt whether I'll actually head downtown to grab the shot.

Register is putting me out of the mood now.

ProjectEnd, why exactly is that sentence worthy of banning someone? Unless if I'm misunderstanding something here, I am very curious to know what your rationale is. And please, respond to this query as I'm trying to figure out what makes some people here think they can post comments like yours.

It's not necessarily because Daddy was 'trolling' per se, but that he's ignoring informed posts by Mike in TO and others who have insight into the industry and who confirm that even if a project takes a rectilinear form, that is no indication of 'cheapness' on the part of the developer. It seems that Daddy doesn't like to listen or contribute to any meaningful dialogue and instead just parrots the same 'they must be cheating us' line whenever a project is not to his liking. The entire UT experience is itself 'cheapened' by this sort of mindless droning and it seems to be the reason that many of the UT elders have slowed their posting or left the board entirely.

Message boards and other online communities evolve as new members come on and others loose interest. It seems though with this latest glut of new recruits that the conversation has in many ways devolved from where we were a few years back.

It's not necessarily because Daddy was 'trolling' per se, but that he's ignoring informed posts by Mike in TO and others who have insight into the industry and who confirm that even if a project takes a rectilinear form, that is no indication of 'cheapness' on the part of the developer. It seems that Daddy doesn't like to listen or contribute to any meaningful dialogue and instead just parrots the same 'they must be cheating us' line whenever a project is not to his liking. The entire UT experience is itself 'cheapened' by this sort of mindless droning and it seems to be the reason that many of the UT elders have slowed their posting or left the board entirely.

Message boards and other online communities evolve as new members come on and others loose interest. It seems though with this latest glut of new recruits that the conversation has in many ways devolved from where we were a few years back.

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it. I see where you're coming from and I admit I don't know nearly enough about the development industry (including the history of Toronto) amongst other things, unlike many forumers here, but I must say (even with my limited knowledge) that I feel Big Daddy's concerns are still valid and his posts are what many can agree to.

A number of developments in the city can be regarded as cheap or less-than-satisfactory in terms of materials, colors, designs, and how it meets the streets and the surrounding context, and given how fast condos are being sold, this situation is not getting better, so for people like Big Daddy and many others, I feel there's a sense of anxiety that many plots of land are being filled up way too quickly with at best moderate developments. Add to this the fact that there's a surprisingly large amount of monotony in designs, it sometimes feels like we may regret this later (kind of like how we regret the demolition of some of the older/historic buildings in the 1950s-1980s).

Grey boxes full of spandrel and minimal attention to how it meets the streets will sell quickly in this city and thus there is little incentive for many developers to try harder. Furthermore, the city of Toronto doesn't do nearly enough to ensure that developers just don't get away with anything. Otherwise we wouldn't have ended up with disasters like 10 Dundas East and CrystalGrey (I can't believe they didn't even try to make the building blue, even if cheaply done).

CITY_LOVER:

If you have been on the board long enough, you'd realize until a few years back the amount of control the city has over design issues is extremely limited. Even now the DRP is merely sufficient to prevent disasters from happening.

AoD

I have been to the south elevation:

These towers are not BOXES!

Yay!

One Tower is round the other is a box.

Big Daddy spoke with having this knowledge. That's why you should have waited before calling them boxes.

It's actually one box and one cylinder.

Last edited:
It's actually one box and one cylinder.

This fairly closely matches the information that raclll gave. My apologies for quoting raclll's post yet again:

The west residential tower shown is a slightly askew rectangle following the line of Lake Shore. The light-lined east residential tower is like a mis-shapened peanut (or liver-shaped) in plan. Looks like it has wrap around balconies similar to Ice.

So we have the western residential tower as a parallelogram with slightly skewed sides, and the eastern residential tower as a "rounded shape" (need an overhead site plan to know its exact shape), with the office tower to the west of both residential towers.

Last edited:

Back