Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Ah gotcha ... the oxford property.

hmm, you know what I find strange about it ... is it just me or are there no application notifcation signs on the oxford property i.e. waterpark city 3 ?

Full demolition under way.

Harbour%2BDemo.JPG

Full demolition under way.

Harbour%2BDemo.JPG

Am i the only one really sad to see this building go? as much as i love new construction, this architecture will be missed

Ah gotcha ... the oxford property.

hmm, you know what I find strange about it ... is it just me or are there no application notifcation signs on the oxford property i.e. waterpark city 3 ?

They may not to re-zone. Oxford went through the process ten years ago. This tower is larger but, possibly still committee of adjustment's worthy. Last I heard, it's about a four month wait but, the results are instantaneous.

And again, judging by how "clean and deliberate" the portico removal was, I'll presume it's being kept in storage as a "heritage element", or something...

Am i the only one really sad to see this building go? as much as i love new construction, this architecture will be missed

I love architecture, but not just any architecture. This is not a building i will miss. It doesnt say anything (to me anyway) about it's era and period in which it was built/used.

I'm far more interested in what will take it's place. I hope it is more iconic that what is being removed.

I took the demolition pic from my balcony (@ 77 Harbour Square); I've been looking at this building for over 10 years. It's beat down and tired and (I would imagine) fairly unusable. I'm looking forward to something more dramatic and uplifting in this spot. And yes, I'm prepared to be disappointed.

With respect to the "I am prepared to be disappointed" attitude that is, by and large, the popular sentiment here, I offer some encouragement.
Right now in Toronto we have a couple of superstars consulting on projects: Moshe Safdie, and Norman Foster. Both are working on projects near or adjacent to the waterfront in the east end.

The 90 Harbour parcel is an invitation for a signature, or "iconic" structure if there ever was such a thing in Toronto, and I am holding out hope that the owners / developers of this parcel realize this, and capitalize on it by pushing the envelope in design matters.

I view the architecture that is going up now in Toronto to be "rather" good in general, with some flops and some blazing successes. We've seen enough of the "sheer" all-glass rectilinear touch, though, and a blending in of some other influences would be very welcome.

For this site, bring on something a tad overt. Nouvel, Gehry, or Calatrava, perhaps. Nothing rectilinear, please.

Back