Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Downtown Costco sounds like an interesting idea. If they came here it would be interesting to see them retrofit their store to the setting.
Already happened in Vancouver. They could probably do something similar to what they did there.

This one already looks much nicer than what Vancouver got too:

costco.jpg

http://urbanworks.typepad.com/urbanworks/2011/01/

Attachments

• costco.jpg
    costco.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 1,184
Downtown Costco sounds like an interesting idea. If they came here it would be interesting to see them retrofit their store to the setting.

Really??? What do you want to aspire to be - NYC or Brampton? Leave Walmart and Costco out in the burbs where it belongs tyvm.

Really??? What do you want to aspire to be - NYC or Brampton? Leave Walmart and Costco out in the burbs where it belongs tyvm.

Wow... closed minded much?

There's a Costco just North-East of Central Park...

Last edited:
I agree. This spot is one of the first things you see when you enter the city from the gardener. I'm glad it wont be a Target, Costco is no better. I understand large retail will end up here regardless, but honestly Canadian Tire, Home Depot, a Walmart if it must be. I guess Costco would be fine but it's certainly not worth hoping for.

Is there no chance that they’d divide the space into a few smaller stores? It’s ridiculous that the space *must* be used for a giant store. Such retail shouldn’t be allowed downtown; there should be maximum width limits.

Is there no chance that they’d divide the space into a few smaller stores? It’s ridiculous that the space *must* be used for a giant store. Such retail shouldn’t be allowed downtown; there should be maximum width limits.
Why not? Even Manhattan has a Home Depot right in the middle of the city. I'd prefer a big box retailer to the disaster that is Aura's basement.

Last edited:
Yep. Costco is one of the few retail companies that pays a living wage. Plus they get good benefits and allow their employees to move up in the company.

A lot of downtown businesses use Costco too.

Here are my high-minded better choices for filling out the 150,000 square feet of retail space:

Gourmet cupcake and doughnut stores
Fair trade coffee bar
Organic fresh produce market
Bicycle parts and repair shop with separate zones for women and minorities
Poutine restaurant
Board game store
Vintage record store
Dog store with grooming, walking, and bathing services
Of course can't forget the Irish pub

I believe you are joking... I hope. These are all awful, except the poutine idea but I really don't think we need an outlet poutine store. I think I really just want it to be an Ikea express and am therefore hating all more likely options. Honestly I think what happened to Target is really terrible and will negatively impact a lot of people. But at this particular location I will be happy to see anything else.

Maximum width limits on second and third floors?

Back