Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Good location. I know a few people who live in City Place that will be happy to hear this, as they usually drive out to the burbs to shop. Target also has a small grocery section which is great for the basics, plus you never have to wait long in line. Some Target stores seemed better stocked than others. They will do a lot better once they sort out there inventory issues.

When Target opened at The Stockyards last week in the west end, the stocking of the shelves was not an issue. I don't know if that has been fixed at all the stores yet, but they made sure to get the opening right at the Stockyards. I have to think that by 2016 when this opens that all the kinks will be out of the Canadian operations.

last week I read at msn.ca that target had a loss of hundreds of $millions while introducing the chain to Canada.

There's an interesting article on CNBC about Target's entry into Canada and its missteps: http://www.cnbc.com/id/101481503

'The discount retailer, which has a strong following of cross-border Canadian shoppers, stumbled on its entry into the country last year, with experts citing missteps in product assortment, pricing, supply chain and real estate.'
The stores themselves failed to follow the racetrack format that characterizes the retailer's U.S. locations because, in an attempt to set up operations quicker, Target acquired existing sites from Canadian discount retailer Zellers. Since the stores weren't built with Target in mind, there were quirks, such as apparel being on the second floor of a store while the dressing room was on the ground floor'

There's an interesting article on CNBC about Target's entry into Canada and its missteps: http://www.cnbc.com/id/101481503

... Since the stores weren't built with Target in mind, there were quirks, such as apparel being on the second floor of a store while the dressing room was on the ground floor'

They have that in more than one store?
That's the way it is in Richmond BC (men's wear upstairs, unisex change rooms downstairs) - how dumb is that?
... and groceries are upstairs

They have that in more than one store?
That's the way it is in Richmond BC (men's wear upstairs, unisex change rooms downstairs) - how dumb is that?
... and groceries are upstairs

Pretty much all their Canadian stores are like that - they lost hundreds of millions and it will cost them at least that much to correct the problem - if they can.

And Walmart - well aware of Target's failure - has announced yet another huge expansion program.

Target may survive, but it wont be pretty.

I still contend Target was/is using the Canadian stores as clearance outlets. They now have a huge image problem in Canada - A lot of people have already said they won't shop there again.

Last edited:
Today:

IMG_2023.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2023.jpg
    IMG_2023.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1,747
The form work is at grade for about 60%, with the concrete to be pour for the east 1/3 in the next week or so. I have ground shots, but behind getting them posted due to lack of time. Sunday was such a nice day that I spent all day trying to catch up on projects as much as 7 months last shot due to this winter. I shot 800 photos that day.

I said April would see this project at grade and on course to do so. I also found it strange that this is the only project I don't know that wasn't delay coming out of the ground considering the size of it.

Edit April 1:
Add photos from March 25 and more up on site. Lot of rebar to be place before concrete can be pour.
13500222275_081dd7569c_b.jpg

13500563504_79400dca28_b.jpg

13500324143_66b7734ac7_b.jpg

13500234195_db197fd25a_b.jpg

13500268833_9671bb9cd8_b.jpg

13500280663_2bc5e25c6f_b.jpg

13500185045_db9a80d05a_b.jpg

Last edited:
Given the available renderings and past projects from these particular developers, does anyone believe there's potential for the Harbour Plaza Residences to express a similar quality of 'white' exterior to that of First Canadian Place, adding at least some contrast to this incredible jungle of highrise buildings of mostly blue-green glass...?

I regard the Sun Life Financial Tower as a simple box. It's rather plain (and that's fine); but I think I more enjoyed its earlier depictions in which there was were horizontal accents along the tower's façade, producing a less generic, more personalised effect to what is, ultimately, a fairly basic box. But office this box is -- so for this box I am grateful.

The downtown's long-term success is more secure with commercial towers with *jobs* amongst the residential infrastructure.

I think the Harbour Plaza balconies are more likely to resemble the white of Festival Tower's balconies, or maybe Ãce's balconies, as these will no doubt be fritted as people will want to see through them. There's no way they will be as white as First Canadian Place where the spandrel has an opaque white back panel.

Back