1.3K     0 

Toronto streetcar among 'journeys of a lifetime'

FutureMayor

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hYH-jS_B64PnS5VXyRpWlPjAEZKg

Toronto streetcar among 'journeys of a lifetime'
1 day ago

WASHINGTON - It's a journey that thousands of Toronto commuters do each day, without much pleasure.

But the 501 Queen streetcar has now acquired lofty status, having been included in the new coffee-table book "Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips" (National Geographic).

The 501, boasting one of the longest streetcar routes in North America, is listed among the top 10 trolley rides on the planet. Others include Berlin's Tram 68, Lisbon's 28 Tram, Seattle's George Benson Waterfront Streetcar, New Orleans' St. Charles Streetcar Tour, Hong Kong's trams and San Francisco's Streetcar F.

National Geographic lists trolleys as "the best way to see a city from an insider's perspective."

Also highlighted in the book is Montreal's underground city, with shopping malls, banks and offices - "the largest man-made underground network in the world." (WTF? I thought Toronto's PATH was the largest in the world?)

It's among the top 10 underground walks, along with the Cu Chi Tunnels in Vietnam, Wieliczka Salt Mine in Poland, the sewers of Paris and the catacombs in Rome, among others.

Cruising from Seattle or Vancouver to Alaska - a trip that features the sight of bald eagles, fiords and waterfalls cascading down mountainsides - is listed among the world's top trips by water.

Other leading water trips include Canada's Trent-Severn Waterway, airboating in the Florida Everglades and the Orinoco River Cruise in Venezuela.

Top road trips include the Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper, Alta.; crossing the Andes from Bolivia to Chile; the route from Delhi to Agra, India; and the Takenouchi Highway in Japan.

Louroz

Gotta love the 501.

According to Wikipedia, Montreal's underground city (which is superior to Toronto's) is 32km in length while Toronto's PATH is 27km.

according to Wikipedia, Montreal has 32km of underground tunnels, while the PATH is 27. Not the best source, but...

after the path expansions should it overtake Montreal or is Montreal expanding as well??

The thing about Montreal's system is that it's not contiguous. The downtown area consists of 3 unconnected networks. If we counted the same way in Toronto we would include College Park and the Yonge & Bloor network in our total.

i'm going to say it before someone else does:

Toronto streetcar among "journeys of a lifetime" - if you are able to catch one... and if your journey isn't interrupted by a short turn.

"We're so excited" said Trish McAllen, a homemaker from Spokane, WA, as the 501 pulled up. "It seems that we've been waiting our entire lives to take this streetcar!"

PATH gets confused with the other PATH, the Port Authority Trans Hudson.

I think it needs a new name. Like Officelinx.

ROTFL at WaterlooWarrior. I should tell Steve that one.

Rather than wait a lifetime for the College streetcar on Wednesday night, I walked from Yonge to Bathurst. No streetcars were going west, but 6 streetcars passed me going east in only 15 minutes...that's the frequency of a lifetime for eastbound folk.

Officelinx sounds like a big box store where one would buy Swingline staplers and reams of Dunder Mifflin paper.

What is the average quality of stores in the Montreal underground like?

Excluding the Eaton Centre and the Bay, The PATH has mostly low end retail and food courts, with a few mid level stores in FCP. Oh and Scotia has Winners, yay!

I often wonder if tourists are fooled by guidebooks saying the PATH is a big shopping destination and then wander around the TD Centre trying to figure out where all the stores are.

I really don't think many tourists really come to Toronto and say "OH MY GOD WE HAVE TO GO SEE THE PATH"... it's more of a tidbit fact that make people think "oh, cool".. and maybe use it in their treks to more deserving landmarks. The PATH is really worth seeing only during office hours to realize how many people use it and why it's important to the city. On a weekend, I prefer sticking to the sidewalks.

I wouldn't think they plan for it in advance, but if you look at guide books and travel news stories about Toronto, it is often mentioned on par with other attractions. There was even a wire news story picked up in a lot of US papers few months ago that was specifically about shopping in the PATH.

I really don't think many tourists really come to Toronto and say "OH MY GOD WE HAVE TO GO SEE THE PATH"... it's more of a tidbit fact that make people think "oh, cool".. and maybe use it in their treks to more deserving landmarks. The PATH is really worth seeing only during office hours to realize how many people use it and why it's important to the city. On a weekend, I prefer sticking to the sidewalks.

My relatives from Britain were adamant that they wanted to see it, even though I assured them it wasn't much to see (especially when compared to seeing the towers above). We walked from Royal Plaza to the TD Centre and by that point they wanted out.

Back