Waterloo Strata Condos | 90.5m | 25s | HIP Developments | Martin Simmons

emphurent

Member Bio
Reaction score
Uptown Waterloo has yet to be documented, but as there are very few projects underway there currently (*yet* much more is in the works) this is the main project that is missing from the forum. I can say this has been quite the slow burner, having worked on some marketing materials (internship) before this was announced. That was in 2018.

The Podium space contains a concept called LAUNCH, which will house 'publicly accessible space' for children to learn about STEAM (Science, Tech, Etc.)

Recently there has been some movement on this project, in the form of demolition fencing and permits. Documents available here.

1642219599879.png

2018_09_28_12_36_31_strata_rendering2.jpg

1642219635995.png

Last edited:
Oh, the post office site!

I remember this being one of those sites the City of Waterloo would support UW planning classes on Imagineering ideas.

Brand new submission to the city with a new design, still by Martin Simmons.

Improvement in some ways, a serious misstep in others. In particular, the parking podium is no longer surrounded by residential units, leaving an ugly deadening wall to face Bridgeport. I only make a fuss in this case as Martin Simons seems somewhat capable, their unwieldy parking podiums on Gaslight Condos, and now here, demonstrate a trend of either being inept, or just lacking the care. The developer also shares heavy blame in that case too, and this new design will make any further block redevelopment will just look laughable due to it's placement on the site.

The shape is interesting, I can give it that, although not at all original. and the spandrel is reduced from previous concepts. The LAUNCH concept is still integrated in the podium, but scaled back quite a bit. At this point it should just be retail.

1643862608111.png

1643863979210.png

1643862659772.png

Last edited:

Back