Toronto Stanley Condominiums | 138.37m | 41s | Tribute | Core Architects

It's only just dawned on me - the name of the building is Stanley - across the street from where the Stanley Cup was lifted on so many occasions :oops:

So long ago, so far away, so nebulous a connection now, it's become an arcane reference at best.

Still nothing to see from across the street.

DSC05300.jpg

Attachments

• DSC05300.jpg
    DSC05300.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 476
70 CARLTON ST
Ward 27 - Tor & E.York District

►View All Properties

Proposal to add 4 floors to condo currently under construction. See also 16 212548 NB.
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Minor Variance 17 269704 STE 27 MV Nov 30, 2017 Accepted
Contact Information Hearing Dates
Jason Bragg
Application Technician
416-392-0097
jbragg2@toronto.ca Hearing Date null

The by-law passed December 22, 2015. They would be able to file for a variance starting on December 22nd, but for some reason the city did accept it a month early. Maybe because the committee meeting wouldn't be until after then? Even that doesn't make sense though since the language in the planning act states that they cannot apply:

(1.3) Subject to subsection (1.4), no person shall apply for a minor variance from the provisions of the by-law in respect of the land, building or structure before the second anniversary of the day on which the by-law was amended. 2015, c. 26, s. 29 (2).

Rendering of the 41-storey version has been added to the database file, while other numbers have been adjusted.

Essentially they're saying that there should be no trouble getting the increase as they ca go this high without adding any shadows to the playground at the Church Street school to the north, now that 411 Church Street has been approved at a particular height to he north of them. One of the submitted documents is therefore a shadow study proving such. They're also saying that they have enough parking to satisfy demand here, and in fact they would turn the equivalent of 3 parking spaces into bicycle storage to satisfy the needs for the 47 new suites that would come from the 4 new floors. The sweetener for the City is that they propose to provide 8 three-bedroom units to Habitat for Humanity (or a similar organization) for $250 per square foot.

I'd be surprised if adding 47 more suites to this proposal was much of an issue infrastructure-wise, it bugged me that the building and 411 Church were going to be the same height, and the sweetener sounds good to me… There may be some more horse-trading to do, but I'd be happy if they were granted the increase.

@DonValleyRainbow as per the post above

Last edited:

Back