Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Rummaging around in boxes recently I found a newspaper clipping about the "new" design for this building, then to be the Ritz-Carleton. The date is 05 June 2001. And it's still not quite finished. Amazing.

The most prominent project (in my mind) on UrbanToronto back in 2001 when we started was 1 Bloor. A wack of developers and designs later and its barely off the ground. At least Trump is pretty much done.

One just needs to remember that this thing was around for 16 years on a prominent downtown corner to show how long it takes for some plans to actually be finished...

DSC00044.jpg

That's pretty cynical. Their social media consultant isn't doing so well for them in other cities then, where they only hit #27 in New York, #22 in Chicago, and number #5 in Chicago and Panama City.

I believe you are wrong; every indication is that it's all about quality, which also happens to make sense. Why ever would you believe it has something to do with the frequency of posting? Doing such would be absurd.

Because thats how their business model works. Hotels with more posts go to the top of the rankings. Frequency is more important than quality, which makes sense, because TripAdvisor sells page views, not hotel room nights. The highest ranked hotel in new york is some little hotel that gets lots of reviews, not one of the big or luxury hotels there.

The Four Seasons, which opened after Trump, has more reviews, and is ranked 7th. The Courtyard Marriott, with far, far more posts, is #52. Open any page and you'll immediately see how many Excellent, Very Good, Average, Poor, or Terrible reviews any hotel gets, and the point is that those reviewing the Trump tend to love it.

I thought this was a forum on architecture and urban development. What does the quality of the hotel rooms have to do with anything. I'm fairly certain people aren't rating their hotel experience on the aesthetics of this atrocious eyesore.

The Four Seasons, which opened after Trump, has more reviews, and is ranked 7th. The Courtyard Marriott, with far, far more posts, is #52. Open any page and you'll immediately see how many Excellent, Very Good, Average, Poor, or Terrible reviews any hotel gets, and the point is that those reviewing the Trump tend to love it.

You are welcome to love it and TripAdvisor all you like.

I thought this was a forum on architecture and urban development. What does the quality of the hotel rooms have to do with anything. I'm fairly certain people aren't rating their hotel experience on the aesthetics of this atrocious eyesore.

What do the interiors have to do with discussion on a development?

AndreaPalladio can come on here and blast away at the quality of the hotel if he likes, that's on-topic enough, and he can try to convince me and anyone else of his odd views on how tripadvisor works, no big deal. In terms of the building being an atrocious eyesore, there will always be room for another post on that.

^ Of course. Many of us disagree with those who continue to blast the building, but are simply tired of arguing a subjective opinion. I happen to think Trump (overall) is a nice building that significantly adds to the city. Yes, there are aspects that could've been handled better, but it certainly isn't an eyesore.

Back