Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Actually..Nothing new or high tech here. Extra tall skinny high rise buildings have been doing similar stuff for a long time. The older high rises ( and some newer ones) used lead or layered steel counterweights( sort of like a pendulum). Others use water tanks.

I also believe that this is the main source of water in case of fire -- it's gravity-fed instead of pumped (pumps tend to fail if the power in the building goes out, which can easily happen in a major fire). As I understand it, all highrises have a large water reservoir for fires, and it was only later that the idea of using the legally required water tank as a counterweight happened.

The article lists Bay-Adelaide East as 49 floors and the North tower still as 43. I wonder how accurate those #'s are?

The way I read it was that there were three buildings but it didn't state which building was which. I'm assuming the phase II east of BA is 43 and that the north tower is 49.

I was under the impression sprinkler systems were always charged so that in event of a fire the system itself had enough water to run for awhile, and then if it were a larger fire the fire department would hook up a hydrant to the standpipe and pump in water from the ground (not using a pump per se, but just the pressure in the hydrant)

The problem is that hydrant pressure will only raise the water a certain height, at which point a second (and third, fourth, etc.) pump is needed to raise the water higher. You cannot simply use a super-powered pump at ground level, because the water pipes would not take the pressure, and might burst, hence the lifting is done in stages, inside the building. However, during a fire the internal pumps (which are normally used to raise water to the upper floors) might have their electrical power supply cut off, which would be really bad if they were the sole supply of water. So all buildings over a certain height (set, I believe, at the maximum height a ground-based water pump can reach) are required to have a large tank of water at or near the top of the building, to be used in case of fire -- there is no problem with water going downwards via gravity.

I was under the impression sprinkler systems were always charged so that in event of a fire the system itself had enough water to run for awhile, and then if it were a larger fire the fire department would hook up a hydrant to the standpipe and pump in water from the ground (not using a pump per se, but just the pressure in the hydrant)

This is how it is done in this city for condos including 1 King,Pantages and Spire .Some of the projects I have worked on.

Lofty plans

Shoe-horning a luxury hotel and condo tower into the hyper-crowded financial district of downtown Toronto is forcing Donald Trump's real estate company to think small while building tall.

Wow... that was an incredibly interesting article. Nice to read some real information thrown in with all the pointless pessimism in this thread.

I think this building will be quite remarkable.

Lofty plans

Stephen Weir
May 31, 2008

Two Canadian companies, Zeidler Partnership Architects and Wright Builds, have been hired by the Trump Organization to construct one of Canada's tallest residential buildings and perhaps Toronto's first five-star hotel.

This one sounds like it will be fun to watch, and you gotta love a 60 storey scraper as 'infill'.

Isn't the Hazleton the first 5-star hotel? Who gives the stars?? With restaurants the Michelin guide is the standard but what about hotels?

Isn't the Hazleton the first 5-star hotel? Who gives the stars?? With restaurants the Michelin guide is the standard but what about hotels?

I was under the impression that there is no actual authority that gives out stars; that the hotels advertise themselves with however many stars they want. In any case, the maximum number of stars that Michelin gives to restaurants is four, leaving me to wonder about the five-, six- and even seven-star "ratings" some hotels (almost all in Asia) claim.

This one sounds like it will be fun to watch, and you gotta love a 60 storey scraper as 'infill'.

Mobil Travel Guide is the standard giver for "stars" for hotels. As it is right now, there are no five-star hotels in Toronto according to Mobil.

AAA hands out the Diamond rating. And to the best of my knowledge, no five-diamond winners in Toronto hotel either for 2008.

exactly! though you must remember that marketing doesnt appeal to intelligence... it appeals to emotion and ego. Luckily I left my ego outside...

this will be a fine building and will add to the super density of the area... I could care less whose name is on it though. (and how many starts etc... maybe the fifth star is awarded for a pool with a swim up bar and free poolside wifi ???)

I figure the north tower is 43 and the east tower 49.

That is what I was wondering. The north tower I though was chopped down to 35 floors and the east tower increased to 45. I think these are just the original numbers without taking into account more recent changes.

Back