Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Eastside's posts regarding MaRS at least had some substance to them.

"Insider" is just being an attention whore.

Actually, the evidence indicates that the current "credit freeze" is coming to an end. For example, the "TED Spread", which is the difference between the interest rates on interbank loans and those on short-term US T-bills, tracks how the banks perceive general economic risk -- the greater the spread, the higher the perceived risk. This has declined from a peak of over 4.6% on October 10 to a current value of 1.5%, less than one-third that rate:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/cbuilder?ticker1=.TEDSP:IND

The TED Spread had fluctuated between 0.8% and 2.1% between August of 2007 and September 2008, before skyrocketing to over 4% on October of 2008, and then slowly declining to its present level. (The previous high had been a bit over 3% after the 1987 Black Monday crash. Historically, the average spreads are 0.3% to 0.5%)

So I would expect that financing will be more available in the coming months. On the other hand, the economy itself will be slowing down at the same time, so while more credit may be available, demand will likely be less too.

Bill

from today's Daily Commercial News...

December 31, 2008

Crews near completion of Toronto Trump tower foundation

Talon International Development Inc. marked the first anniversary of construction of the $500 million Trump International Hotel and Tower with near completion of the foundation walls and elevator core walls.

“From the ground up, Trump Tower in Toronto is taking shape,†said Alex Shnaider, chair of Talon, the building’s developer. “We’re pushing forward into our second year of construction.â€

Ground officially was broken in mid October 2007 on the landmark 60-storey tower.

“In only a few short months, we have gone from an excavated piece of land to a nearly complete foundation,†said Val Levitan, president and CEO of Talon. “Toronto’s Trump tower now has a solid support structure in which to grow upwards.â€

The project team includes Zeidler Partnership Architects; structural engineers Halcrow Yolles; mechanical-electrical engineers Hidi Rae Consulting Engineers and construction manager Lewis Builds Corp.

Talon said construction crews have completed all the slab formwork for the B1 deck which is where the hotel service rooms will be located. Thousands of cubic metres of concrete have been poured.

Given the logistical challenges of getting the concrete onto the site, engineers created a gravity-hop system whereby the concrete is dropped from street level down into a pump, Talon said.

“With the ground floor complete in early January, construction crews will begin production of the parking floors,†said Marc Bohemier, senior project superintendent at Lewis Builds.

“At this time, we will also be installing the automatic climbing system so construction can begin on the core walls and to ensure efficient and swift floor development from floors three to 59.â€

Located at 325 Bay Street, the Trump International Hotel & Tower will include 118 luxury residences and 261 hotel guest rooms and suites. Residential floors will be located on levels 33 to 60.

I can't believe that with all the hype this project caused it managed to get a 3* rating!!

EDIT: Oh, I voted on it 5* and now the average is 4*, meaning that it was put up by one individual.

I can't believe that with all the hype this project caused it managed to get a 3* rating!!

EDIT: Oh, I voted on it 5* and now the average is 4*, meaning that it was put up by one individual.

People don't really use the ratings on the forum.

Over at SSC, forumer Intheknow07, who is a purchaser at Trump Tower, is reporting that the floor count has recently been increased from 60 to 62....good news if true....

I wonder if the overall height increased, or this is like the 57 floor, 59 floor, 60 floor business where no one really knows.

So far we can really only confirm a couple of basements and a ground floor, which is still just inferred in spots. I'm hoping for 2 floors. If that comes about, I will dare to hope for 3. Etc.

Back