Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

May 12
Look at the progress!

IMG_4352.jpeg

Hopefully there’s not an old drain underneath it. We’d never be rid of it!

@PL1
@jxmith_

2.5 years turned into 10 years. Temporary? WOW.
Yes, It really has held up well.

They could use the tent for the archeology dig or take it down, start excavation, find some buried treasure and put the tent back up.
IMG_5787.jpeg

Last edited:
The number of construction lane closures between Queen and Carlton has made the reversible lane moot. North of Queen, one through lane in each direction, along with a centre turn lane would work much better. Perhaps Wellesley-Mount Pleasant should remain two through lanes in each direction just to allow traffic coming off Mount Pleasant to sort itself out and filter a bit.

Talked to a hard hat on site and he said a portion of the upper levels is opening in two weeks. Courts? Recreation centre? The floor on the main level is finished. Overall looks wonderful! Taken 22 May.

View attachment 565836
View attachment 565837View attachment 565838View attachment 565839View attachment 565841
I think 'opening' needs to be looked at very cautiously! It may mean that the Building will be handed over to the City but then they need to do all their inspections and fitting out. Though one would hope that they may be all prepared to bring in the Farmers' Market stuff, I have my doubts as this has been a very mismanaged project! (BTW. There is no 'recreation centre' in this building - there is a small room to be used as Seniors' Centre on 1st floor but last I heard the City had made no plans for actually programing it and Real Estate Services are really not experienced with such things. If the City silos spoke to each other they would be talking to PF&R but .....)

Though I hope I am wrong, I have heard "Thanksgiving' as a date for the Farmers and December for the Green P - I think the Courts may be there sooner as they are losing their lease in Old City Hall.

I feel like there's something missing from the front of the building. Like a sense of welcoming and draw. The big sheets of glass on the two parts of either side of the entrance almost give me hands of stop, do not proceed. Wish there something there, like detailing or text.

I think a hanging sculpture of fruits and veggies etc. would do the trick. A bit on the nose but hey... it's a market.

Maybe not this guy, but you get the drift.

edd44eaa-5f4f-4a6e-bf4b-6509c7325db4.jpg

Link

I feel like there's something missing from the front of the building. Like a sense of welcoming and draw. The big sheets of glass on the two parts of either side of the entrance almost give me hands of stop, do not proceed. Wish there something there, like detailing or text.

I really like this development but agree that the entrance area could be warmed up a bit.

A whimsical S L M (St Lawrence Market) or something similar as shown in Bibi L’s photo from above that I crudely edited. (Letters would be a bit smaller then how I drew it)

Source: Bibi L
IMG_3173.jpeg

Back