Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

Wouldn't the issue be the appropriateness of the JP encountering counsel, ex parte so to speak, in the main washrooms, or even bumping into the accused?
I don't think that's the issue - the JPs are in a sequestered private office space, with a private elevator to and from courtrooms, which have private corridors to enter and exit from the rear.

I don't think that's the issue - the JPs are in a sequestered private office space, with a private elevator to and from courtrooms, which have private corridors to enter and exit from the rear.

And what kind of court are we dealing with in this building? Traffic? It sounds like overkill.

AoD

It's provincial offences court. So, yeah, less serious issues being tried than at, say, the criminal courts over on University Avenue (in other words, no one is risking life in prison on a murder charge), but still a lot of serious and emotionally-charged cases. A friend of mine used to work in by-law enforcement in Ottawa and said the court cases were a often a circus, with people shouting and threatening each over. Over by-law infractions.

I think it's pretty standard that court facilities are designed to keep judges and JPs from mingling with counsel and parties. Whether that requires that they all have their own washroom, I don't know.

This from the Report noted above:

Phase 3) Design and Construction of New North Market Building
• Bid Document Completion, including cost checks, Q1, 2016
• Construction Tender Call, Q2, 2016 (Subject to extent of site archaeology)
• Construction Contract Award, Q3, 2016
• Construction Completion, Q4, 2018 (Subject to confirmation by contractor)

A construction start date for the new building can therefore not be confirmed until all regulatory approval requirements to obtain a building permit are satisfied including archaeological assessment which requires demolition of the existing building in order to complete archaeological fieldworkThe City's Archaeology Consultant has advised that the Stage 4 archaeological investigation could result in project delay of 6 to 12 months depending on the extent and significance of the archaeological findings. The authorities having jurisdiction have advised that no new construction can take place until all archaeological approval requirements have been satisfied. This scope of work includes the requirement that the existing North Market building be demolished to allow full site access before Stage 4 fieldwork can safely occur. Site archeological assessment Archaeological assessment continues to be a risk to the overall project schedule with delays experienced during both the Temporary and Permanent Market Building Phases. Schedule Risks The following items have the potential to impact project timelines and cash flow forecasts going forward.

Council voted to continue with the work. John Campbell and Denzil Minnan-Wong were the two councillors who voted against it.

This helps swallow the loss of the much more interesting roof that won the design competition.
Will that really improve the look of the roof(s) that much? It's still a joke to see how compromised this project has become. I'd rather nothing be built for now, if we're too cheap to see the original design come to fruition.

I'd rather it get built, period. All this dithering is frustrating. Yes, it's a terribly watered-down design. But the process is taking too long as it is. The north building needs to be built and come online. It may not see as quite as much action as the south building but it's still an important component of the market itself and the business conducted there.

They haven't even begun to tear the old market building down yet. Wasn't the original completion date supposed to be 2013? So this will be at least 7 years late if it is ever built.

They haven't even begun to tear the old market building down yet. Wasn't the original completion date supposed to be 2013? So this will be at least 7 years late if it is ever built.

That's only counting the time post-design competition - the project was in the planning phase since the early 2000s (at least) - see the dates of the various reports.

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...nnel=c59d611193426410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

2 decades for a measly market building extension? The city should take the cake on this one for a job well done.

AoD

I remember them having an early proposal - pre competition - in the windows of the space where the bank is now - years before I moved downtown.

Back