Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

Steps:

1. Medication review and adjustment (as needed)

2. NimbyTecht initial drawings.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Planning and the City of Toronto[/FONT]
Toronto's City Planning Division manages growth and guides the evolving physical form of the city. City Planning works with the community and other City divisions to set goals and policies for responsible development. Planning staff gather public input, work with local organisations and groups, study issues, process development applications, and create plans and policies that protect and improve our urban environment. In certain cases, planning staff may provide support and advice to City Council about non-professional submissions to help ensure orderly growth and the kind of communities, neighbourhoods and city we want.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The Planning Process
[/FONT]

Depending on the type of application there are different approval processes. Proof of applicant medication review (and adjustment if necessary) is required before any consultation with staff can begin. Demonstrated planning and development expertise and other appropriate professional qualifications should be submitted to staff (including demonstrated expertise in accepted industry design softwares) before consultation begins.

planning1.jpg

PE:

Not bad at all - not as intricate as the original proposal, but definitely still very Sir Rogers - very 70s/80s Sir Rogers, I might add.

AoD

If they can leave the colour in, I'm more than happy to accept the compromise. 60s, 70s and 80s high tech (particularly British-authored) is without a doubt a favorite style of mine.

I liked the peaked roofs of the old design better, but these arched roofs do a better job of relating to the south market building, so I don't mind them.

I love the ground level exhaust ducts (no idea what they're called).

They're some of my favourite 'details' of buildings built in the 70s-80s.

It's cool - it seems less ponderous than the competition design.

Pedantic point. It's been Lord Rogers since 1996. If he weren't a baron, the proper form of address would be Sir Richard. The more you know...

If they can leave the colour in, I'm more than happy to accept the compromise. 60s, 70s and 80s high tech (particularly British-authored) is without a doubt a favorite style of mine.

Indeed, one would hope so given that's very much a signature move. It's a shame since hi-tech is such an underrepresented style in Canada (the only convincing firm doing it was IKOY)

AP:

Noted.

AoD

Point of clarification, PE.

I wear reading glasses now, so is this entire structure floating above grade? If so (major access issues aside) I could see some groovy, weather-protected programming happening.

My 2 concerns:

1. Now that I'm old I truly embrace the KISS principle and wonder if some site-specific references are needed (compromise? why compromise?) to communicate/welcome residents and other users. Perhaps a huge brick outside kinda like the giant thimble in the fashion district.

2. St. Lawrence Market South tenants will be angry, jealous and petitioning to move across the street.

OK, a third concern. Is this a market or another George Brown campus?

Good work. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's making me want to have him Pompidou it up a bit! More ducts please!

Hideous! The 4(?) other proposals were much better. I can't remember them exactly, but I remember thinking that this is by far the worst. If that floating ground level thing goes through, it would just add insult to injury.

Back