Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

MM6.32 - 125 The Esplanade (Temporary North Market) Extension of Temporary Use Zoning By-law - by Councillor Ausma Malik, seconded by Councillor Chris Moise​

Motion without Notice
Consideration Type: ACTIONWard: 10 - Spadina - Fort York
Attention
* Notice of this Motion has not been given. A two-thirds vote is required to waive notice.
* This Motion is subject to referral to the Toronto and East York Community Council. A two-thirds vote is required to waive referral.
* This Motion has been deemed urgent by the Chair.

Recommendations​

Councillor Ausma Malik, seconded by Councillor Chris Moise, recommends that:

1. City Council direct the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning to commence a City-initiated Zoning By-law Amendment to extend the Temporary Use Zoning By-law for 125 The Esplanade for a period of six months with a decision report targeted for the June 22, 2023 meeting of the Toronto and East York Community Council.

Summary​

As part of the redevelopment of the North Market located at the northwest corner of Jarvis Street and Front Street East (92 Front Street East), a Temporary Use Zoning By-law was passed by City Council on June 13, 2014, to permit a temporary structure at 125 The Esplanade to temporarily replace the North Market while it is being redeveloped. The Temporary Use Zoning By-law was previously extended for 3 years in 2017 and again in 2020. The most recent extension expires in October 2023.

The North Market has been further delayed due to the impacts of the pandemic. It is expected that the construction and occupancy of the new North Market will be completed between the fourth quarter of 2023 and the first quarter of 2024. As 125 The Esplanade is a City-owned property, a City-initiated Zoning By-law Amendment is a suitable method to extend the Temporary Use Zoning By-law to 2024, at which time construction of the new North Market is expected to be complete and the temporary market operations can be relocated to the new North Market.

125 The Esplanade is also the future site of a new district library for the St. Lawrence community. CreateTO and Toronto Public Library staff are aware of and do not have issue with this intention to extend the Temporary Use Zoning By-law to 2024.

This Motion is urgent as the Temporary Use Zoning By-law is set to expire in October 2023.

Background Information​

Member Motion MM6.32
https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2023/mm/bgrd/backgroundfile-236413.pdf

The white roof is done. How many more layers to go.
2D3F3D7E-C374-4206-BC71-4E4E430AF174.jpeg

X marks the spot for something related to the next layer.
92BC9BEA-F0FD-4842-B4EE-2013E6E459CF.jpeg

I haven’t figured out the HVAC system. Assuming these are exhaust fans.
B04139E0-B4CC-4529-83AF-881E35638414.jpeg

Maybe a heat recovery coil section or heat pump on top of the fan? Are they adding a supply unit to the adjacent opening? Assuming it’s not a skylight. I wonder how old the mechanical design is or how many design or equipment changes they have entertained over the years.
E2A6F84F-D638-4DAE-A37D-5558CFB0CFD5.jpeg

The white roof is done. How many more layers to go.
View attachment 477834

X marks the spot for something related to the next layer.
View attachment 477833

I haven’t figured out the HVAC system. Assuming these are exhaust fans.
View attachment 477836

Maybe a heat recovery coil section or heat pump on top of the fan? Are they adding a supply unit to the adjacent opening? Assuming it’s not a skylight. I wonder how old the mechanical design is or how many design or equipment changes they have entertained over the years.
View attachment 477835
I assume we must be approaching the 'green roof' layer .......

Though I knew it existed, I had never really seen the walk-through between the new North Market and St Lawrence Hall as it was hidden by scaffolding
View attachment 484029

Of course, I do not think that the City have worked out how this will work and I think it now ends in the Hall behind a locked area but ....

At least that would mean it can use the north market loading docks.

AoD

Back