Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

Red, definitely. I like orange too but it's really all just about the copper wings, and even they are a bit much for this location. Red builds a neighbourhood and contributes to its site as a whole while orange builds a monument/icon, which I don't know is needed when there is already one of the city's top icons across the street.

I also like how the steel girder system of the interior echos the timber one of the exterior, and how the wooden forms echo natural elements of other prominent civic buildings in Toronto like the AGO and FSC. I have a slight concern about the height but it does seem to be mitigated by the extensive use of glass... and I'd also like to see it treat St. Lawrence Hall to North as reverently as the historic market hall to the south.

Green.

Respects the South Market Building, and the original North Market Building that the current structure replaced.

They are all over the top. My old fart favourite? The boring faux historical scribble that mimic'd market south. Forgettable, functional and respectful.

Sometimes clever doesn't really belong. This building doesn't need to scream look at me.

They are all over the top. My old fart favourite? The boring faux historical scribble that mimic'd market south. Forgettable, functional and respectful.

Sometimes clever doesn't really belong. This building doesn't need to scream look at me.

Buildings that scream "look at me" are rarely built in Toronto. This is the kind of elusive opportunity where a striking design is a real possibility. Why waste it? You'll have a thousand other quiet buildings to ignore over the years...

At first my choice was blue.
While I still love blue, I don't think it's the right location for that design.
I've now decided I like red better, and orange second.

Green and yellow are disgusting, and belong in places like Ottawa or Hamilton.

Buildings that scream "look at me" are rarely built in Toronto. This is the kind of elusive opportunity where a striking design is a real possibility. Why waste it? You'll have a thousand other quiet buildings to ignore over the years...

... but in this specific context there are buildings all around that scream 'look at me', including St. Lawrence Hall, St. Lawrence Market, St. James Cathedral and the Gooderham Worts Flat Iron Building, not to mention the heritage row along the south side of Front Street etc. There are not too many other areas in the city where we can enjoy this important a collection of heritage buildings. Not that I would suggest a pandering to this heritage, but a little deference to it makes sense.

... but in this specific context there are buildings all around that scream 'look at me', including St. Lawrence Hall, St. Lawrence Market, St. James Cathedral and the Gooderham Worts Flat Iron Building, not to mention the heritage row along the south side of Front Street etc. There are not too many other areas in the city where we can enjoy this important a collection of heritage buildings. Not that I would suggest a pandering to this heritage, but a little deference to it makes sense.

Well, I guess I reject the notion that a building like Red would detract from the worth of the heritage buildings in the area. Would it destract? Possibly, but only on an initial and superficial eye-scan of the corner. Spend some time lingering and watch how the new building actually enhances the once static South Market, engaging in a conversation rooted in the dynamic visual foil it provides. Both buildings will essentially serve the same purpose, so the common thread won't be something abstract, and can be enjoyed by pretentious art queens and trogdolyte 905ers alike. The South Market is a monster, so it will be hard to upstage, and any "tip-of-the hat" effort on the North side is going to involve something faux, or just be really boring. IMO, this is a perfect spot for something shiny and new.

I agree. Red is very different but in the very right way. It is a very interesting building using both wood and glass so that it's neither one big glass building or one hulking wood building. I find many of the other designs to have a massive feel to them and simply mimic the South Market.

Red, on the other hand, gives way to the St. Lawrence Hall with it's view from within and also to the neighbourhood as a whole by creating a sort of NW corner square. I realize this will take away some indoor useable space, but certainly the use of that space can be determined so it's not an issue. That's the only "flaw" I see.

The spatial requirements of the various users - a farmer's market, an antique market, and others - have to be met. If, for instance, "Red" is selected, and doesn't conform to the needs of these stakeholders, it will have to be redesigned - and that's when things get interesting.

Well, I guess I reject the notion that a building like Red would detract from the worth of the heritage buildings in the area. Would it destract? Possibly, but only on an initial and superficial eye-scan of the corner. Spend some time lingering and watch how the new building actually enhances the once static South Market, engaging in a conversation rooted in the dynamic visual foil it provides. Both buildings will essentially serve the same purpose, so the common thread won't be something abstract, and can be enjoyed by pretentious art queens and trogdolyte 905ers alike. The South Market is a monster, so it will be hard to upstage, and any "tip-of-the hat" effort on the North side is going to involve something faux, or just be really boring. IMO, this is a perfect spot for something shiny and new.

LOL, well I agree. Red is the one I like too. I think it is the nice balance between offering something itself without upstaging the heritage assets around.

Last edited:

Back