Toronto St Lawrence Centre Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | CreateTO | Hariri Pontarini

Preferred choice for the St. Lawrence Centre Redevelopment Competition

• Brook McIlroy, Trahan Architects, and Hood Design Studio

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Diamond Schmitt, Smoke Architecture, and MVVA

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Hariri Pontarini, LMN Architects, Tawaw Collective, Smoke Architecture, and SLA

Votes: 39 49.4%
  • RDHA, Mecanoo, Two Row Architect, and NAK Design Strategies

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Zeidler Architecture, Diller Scofidio + Renfro, Two Row Architect, and PLANT Architect

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can hear the marketing wheels grind to a halt (in my mind anyways).

Coming soon: "SkyCandy Lofts" - sweet suites are awaiting you!

Whew....

Though it's not too far fetched that the city will sell it at some point to a developer. And when that day comes, the countdown of the end of my view from 38 The Esplanade starts.

UPDATE: A condo tower plan for this site has been rejected outright. The updated story on the front page is here.

Whew....

Though it's not too far fetched that the city will sell it at some point to a developer. And when that day comes, the countdown of the end of my view from 38 The Esplanade starts.

no view is safe nowdays although I thought the colors were kind of a breath of fresh air although these these never look as good as the renderings. it would be nice if St. Lawrence Centre could just stay as it is. I can't imagine them building a highrise there. it would just detract from the cool Flatiron.

I somehow get the feeling whoever bought the flatiron building will let it fall into disrepair so the building could be sold at a crazy expensive price, torn down and replaced with a tall building.

I somehow get the feeling whoever bought the flatiron building will let it fall into disrepair so the building could be sold at a crazy expensive price, torn down and replaced with a tall building.

Oooooooorrr... It could also be facsodomized and used as a podium for aAnother clewesClone. More likely I think.

Not that this is even related, but there is no way they will tear down the flatiron building or remove the park for a tall building. That building is the most photographed building in Canada. Or so I heard.

Whoa...I had no idea they were planning to level the place entirely. I thought it was just sort of a renovation project. The building has some architectural significant and even if replaced with something decent, I think we'll miss it.

I kind of like the colour. Toronto's skyline is sorely lacking in any kind of colour, so I'd be more than happy to see something bright and lively like that. On a condo, I'd be concerned about the colours fading or becoming grimy over time.

I can't imagine even Toronto trying to do a facadectomy on the Flatiron building. I think they can also command some pretty premium rents for that building, or at least they're hoping to.

9 groups want to buy Toronto’s performing arts theatres

Nine organizations have submitted written interest in the sale of three of Toronto’s performing arts theatres, announced at a public reading at City Hall on Monday.

In May, the city posted a request for expressions of interest in the three properties — the Sony Centre for the Performing Arts, the St. Lawrence Centre for the Arts and the Toronto Centre for the Arts.

The nine groups that have now expressed formal interest are:
More......http://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...ant-to-buy-toronto-s-performing-arts-theatres

@DSC recently shared this notice in the St. Lawrence Market - Neighbourhood Node section thread:

Redevelopment of St Lawrence Centre for the Arts. Coming to their Board next week. See: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2019/ct/bgrd/backgroundfile-139944.pdf

Also, a throwback summary to 2012 when this first started to make the rounds at UT:

City Council consideration on December 17, 2019: See: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2019.EX11.25
EX11.25
ACTION​
Ward: All​
St. Lawrence Centre Redevelopment
Committee Recommendations
The Executive Committee recommends that:

1. City Council support the redevelopment concept for the St. Lawrence Centre, described as Option 2 in Confidential Attachment 1 to the report (November 7, 2019) from the President and Chief Executive Officer, TO Live.​

Council has now released the formerly confidential report. It's at: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2019/cc/bgrd/backgroundfile-141255.pdf

The recommendation is a complete redevelopment:

State-of-the-art space is a new civic asset that attracts attention and focus to Toronto
Increased performance range for artists and Canadian cultural organizations – including TO Live
Placemaking opportunities as new public spaces connect to Berczy Park and help connect to neighborhood and downtown Toronto
Opportunity to provide more flexibility in cost model to partners / tenants
Improved accessibility and ambiance – opportunities for enhanced event and F&B revenue

Back