News   Jul 30, 2024
 255     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 392     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Toronto St. Clair West Transit Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC

I really don't know what it is with my friggin Italian people, that they are so anti transit

Mike, two points:

1. Speak for yourself; and
2. We are NOT "your" Italian people.
Capish?

probably not, because if he had been he'd realize that on the whole italian culture is more about small, tight communities where walking would be preferred over transit of any kind.

tho i can't speak for the whole culture, all i know is this little italian hates his car, and would gladly get rid of it if his job didn't require him to own one

This not so little Italian likes to live without a car downtown.

don't generalize about Italians.... a large number of UT forumers are of Italian origin (including myself), live downtown, do not own cars, DO NOT like the lifestyle in some 905 suburbs, and ARE passionatly pro-transit! Mabie some of the 1st generation immigrants (statistically more right-wing/ 1950s old school) are against it and have embraced Woodbridge car culture but the Italian-Canadian community is mainstream now and are immersed into the Canadian population... shouldn't be generalizing...

Remember, this is the same guy who said all Muslims are obligated to kill non-Muslims.

Also, though I don't know what redistribution will mean, how "Italian" is Mihevc's ward, all things considered? I'd imagine the bulk of that demo is in Cesar Palacio's turf. Mihevc's got a lot more of the Forest Hill-y crowd; even his "poor parts" are more polyglot, considering...

Quick recap from the link:
As a percentage of Ethnic Origin, the ward is a bit below the Toronto average for Italians (5.1% vs 5.6% city wide). It's also a little below average for Italian mother tongue, and Italian spoken as a home language.

What does all this mean... nothing. Nothing at all.
The St. Clair ROW is a go.

BTW - I can be added to those with some Italian lineage who supports transit. Granted I currently reside in northern Scarborough, however I'm all for transit improvements and desire to live closer to the downtown area.

Guys, we are different kinds of Italian Canadians. We grew up in Scarborough, other areas of Toronto. But if you are an Italian Canadian who is born in the good(like Woodbridge), you pretty much will come out anti city and anti transit.

If you grew up in Woodbridge, you would have your Gucci shirts and pants, and be in your sports car, not on York Regional Transit or a streetcar :)

By the way don't get all upset, just being a little sarcastic here, although in the case of Woodbridge, my comment is probably true 85% of the time.

Anyway back to the streetcar talk.

But then if that were true their attitudes have nothing to do with being Italian, and instead the determining factor would be that they're suburbanites, and the comment would apply equally to all ethnic groups North of Steeles, meaning that your original comment is still without merit.

And remember: my point's that it ain't gonna be the Italians who'll allow Margaret Smith to defeat Mihevc.

Funny how it all boils down to the Italians w/miketoronto...

"Joke" of the day, from Globe and Mail

Inside City Hall

Them's fighting words

The local group, Save Our St. Clair (SOS), abandoned its legal fight against the St. Clair streetcar right-of-way project last week, agreeing not to appeal a ruling that gave the city the go-ahead, in exchange for the city dropping demands for more than $170,000 in court costs.

But the hatchet didn't seem buried for long. A news release put out by SOS leader Margaret Smith the same day claimed that "Byzantine manoeuvres of the City cheated us out of a just decision."

A lawyer for the TTC picked up the phone. And less than two hours later, Ms. Smith sent out a second, more contrite e-mail: "Our previous media release went out in error and is not to be relied upon as the position of Save Our St. Clair. We are pleased with the resolution of this matter and, while we had our differences in the past with the City and the TTC, we respect the fact that they always acted ethically in our legal fight."

However, a longer version of the original, offending press release remained posted on the SOS website yesterday.

LOL! Watching her say that and barf afterwards alone is probably worth that $100K!

AoD

Back