News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 430     0 

Toronto St. Clair West Transit Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC

It looks as if it were planned that the tracks should be twisting like that. The reason I say this is because, it does take some effort to bend streetcar tracks, and it's not like they can just randomly bend them to that look on the fly.

^^ No. The kinks are a result of incompotance, whether they will effect streetcar operation will be determined by testing that should begin shortly.

you know, i have one simple request.. and that is to have tracks aligned with fricken laser beams while in their beds. now evidently my cycloptic colleague informs me that this can't be done. now can you remind me what i pay taxes for? honestly throw me a bone here.

I have over 1,500 photo's/75 pages of web pages on section Phase II just for this year alone. This was up to Nov 14/09. These photo's were shot on Dec 1/09.

If you stand at Westmount Ave and look east you will see the photo's don't do justice as to what is out there. It is bad. The eastbound track is the worse of the 2.

Yes I talked to various City personalize and was told a few things and have keep no record who they were.

TTC had to lay the tracks to match as what was out there in the first place, ""BUT"" where was the ""PROJECT MANAGER for TTC"" as they should had demanded things rebuilt before or during track placement. As a Project Manager/Owner, I would said tear it out and do it it right.

This was built in the name of traffic.

Some heads should roll.

Streetcars can handle bends, but not sure what the impact will be on operation here. I'm sure speed will be slower than rest of the line here.

If you look west of Glenholme Ave, you will find a manhole that is supposed to be in the centre of the eastbound track, but if almost a foot+ off set, forcing the rail to kink.

At Oakwood Ave, a manhole is right next to the north side of the westbound track when the base coat was pour and was move off set at the time the top coat pouring. It should be further north.

Steve Monro and 2 TTC management have seen the web pages photo's.

It's a zoom lens that is exaggerating the distortion. The tracks do shift for the left turn lanes, center poles, and platforms.

Nope.

The eastbound is completely different from the westbound tracks. Even the spacing between the 2 tracks various in the same place/block and the whole section.

Take a look first hand and you will see that the photo's are not that far off.

So the reason for the bend is the manhole, not the centre pole?

Drum, can you bring this to the attention of a councillor? Giambrone, perhaps?

Last edited:
I really hope Eglinton doesn't suffer a similar fate, because that would be a disaster.

If that current alignment isn't repaired it sure would be interesting to watch the next gen streetcar weave through it while sitting in the back.

Schnikies! That's even worse than when the road lines are painted in zig zags.

I would suggest emailing these pics to Councillors Mihevic and Palacio and to Mayor Miller...oh and let's not forget TTC apologist Giambrone.

I would suggest emailing these pics to Councillors Mihevic and Palacio and to Mayor Miller...oh and let's not forget TTC apologist Giambrone.

Joe already has 77 web pages of photo's I have shot up to Nov 14 for this year on this phase only. I have to get the other pages built up to Dec 4 since then.
Joe Does not have these photo's yet.

Someone else in TTC has these photo's as well Steve.

Once I get the other pages done, Will send to Miller and start some house clean.

The SOS Folks are going to love this.

You might just want to pick the 10 worst and give that out to people initially vs say pages and pages of photos ... it gets the point accross and if they want to see more you can provide.

Munro had a little comment about this when someone asked:
http://stevemunro.ca/?p=2945#comments
"Steve: Although this (and related shots) emphasizes the effect with a telephoto lens, yes, this is really embarrassing. The TTC claims that it is comparable to what’s already in place between Yonge and Bathurst. I plan to photograph both sections at the same focal length.
I am disgusted at the fact that the TTC and the City have built something like this."

Come on guys. They're trying their best and that's all that matters.

But really, obviously someone made a desicion to lay the tracks anyway. I'm sure it was done because of time/money constraints, and the hope that no one would notice. Woops. Heads better roll.

Back