70     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 464     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 498     0 

Toronto St. Clair West Transit Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC

TTC Accessibility:
www.ttc.ca/postings/gso-c.../_conv.htm

"The remainder of the buses will be accessible by 2010, the rest of the stations will be accessible by 2020, and the streetcar system will be accessible by 2024."

While this policy is in place the option of continuing to refurbish the existing streetcars will defer accessibility for another 18 years. This is another good reason why new streetcars are needed now.

i hope i will be walking, running, dancing and jumping long before then.

Streetcars back on St. Clair

I was checking my email this morning when I heard that familiar ding-ding sound coming from outside. Last night while driving home, I noticed that the advanced green and transit signals have also been activated.

It's only until construction starts up again in the spring, at which time the streetcars will be replaced again with buses along part of the route
I'm pretty sure buses will run the entire length of the route, as the trackage at St. Clair West station needs to be rebuilt. I have no idea why it wasn't done beforehand.

The full ROW should be done by 2008.

It's only until construction starts up again in the spring, at which time the streetcars will be replaced again with buses along part of the route. Having said that, it's nice to see.

I rode the streetcar down its ROW length from Vaughan to Yonge yesterday. Two of the incoveniences of the old street run have been solved. First, the Vaughan to Bathurst block - once a major bottleneck that took five minutes to cross - has now been fixed and streetcars sail right through. Placing the streetcar stop on the other side of Bathurst has also sped up travel times. Also, the streetcar no longer stops at Yonge and the subway station but swiftly moves without interruptions from Deer Park into the subway station itself. Another major improvement.

But we live in Toronto, and nothing is ever as it ought to be: the left-turn advances lack under-the-road sensors, so that even if a car is not in a left or U-turn lane, there will be a 10 second delay for the LT signal as a streetcar crammed with passengers waits to proceed. Not effective. Also, they still haven't yanked the old light standards out of the road so that, in some cases, there are intersections with up to 5 utility poles on a single corner! I think that might even be a record in Toronto. Finally, they haven't installed the glass shelters yet, so you're going to have to brave the elements. Hopefully once the weather warms up they'll remove the extra poles and build the shelters, but I'm not expecting much.

I had a less than satisfactory ride on St. Clair today. I rode from St. Clair Station as far as Winona, and wanted to try out the ROW in peak service.

The Yonge to Vaughan section is nice - very smooth running, the streetcar never felt like it stayed at signals for long, and no delays from cars turning left in front.

I was going to ride as far as Old Weston Road (this was today around 5:30), but a collision on the west part of the line had streetcars short-turning at Oakwood. It really annoyed me that the driver never announced this (after receiving instructions from a supervisor at the station to go to Oakwood, but display a Keele exposure) as a big crowd was boarding at St. Clair West, nor anywhere along the route until Winona, when the driver immediately picked up the PA, told everyone this was the last stop and to wait for shuttle buses to Keele. He then ran empty to Oakwood Loop.

This angered me - some passengers may have decided to take alternate routes station. The worst part was kicking everyone out at Winona, when others (like me) could have transferred to the 63 or 161. As streetcar after streetcar dumped passengers at Winona (one later did run full to the loop), and no shuttle in sight, this turned out to be an indignity to the older passengers, or those with children especially. I walked over to Oakwood and grabbed a 161 Rogers bus, which for many, would have been a decent alternative.

What I don't understand is why the city has not frozen development on land abutting St. Clair west of the Gunn loop, which would help protect a future ROW. Joe Mihevec replied only that a separate EA would deal with the proposed expansion. What's to prevent some enterprising soul(s) who, just like the Front Street project, buy up some land along the proposed route?

Not surprised to hear that the city isn't more closely watching development in the Gunn's Loop area. I've found The City to rarely have foresight when it comes to long-term transit planning.

Anyway, I got to ride the new R.O.W.'d section of the 512 on Saturday and it's pretty darn good. We only witnessed one vehicular driver on the R.O.W., but he quickly veered off when he realized his/her mistake. The curbs really should be slightly higher.

(EZBoard won't let me make long posts, continued in the next post...)

Moreover, there's too many stops. Just as the streetcar pulls out of St. Clair station and hurtles through the lights at Yonge it has to stop at the other side for a stop. Why can't this stop be eliminated and people just board from within the station? Also, there doesn't appear to be an R.O.W. on the short section east of Yonge. Is that coming?

It's quite obvious once the streetcar hits mixed traffic again (just after Vaughan Rd). The service completely slows down (even on a Saturday afternoon). Can't wait to see this finished all the way to Keele!

The streetscape improvements look pretty good so far. I'm liking the power wires in the centre and the removal of the old hydro wires. Stone has been laid at crosswalks and the entire R.O.W. has a design in the concrete that gives it a distinctive look.

-----

BTW, do any mods/admin know what's going on with long posts? Everytime I make one recently, it doesn't get accepted. EZBoard just time's out. I've tried this on different browsers, different computers and in different sub-forums, but I'm still getting the same problem.

Back