Mississauga Square One Expansions and Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Oxford Properties | MMC Architecture

Saw some interesting new stuff for the SQ1 lands on the Mississauga Development Applications map. All of those blue dots around the mall (save for the dot representing the Exchange District Condos application) are all labelled "Technical rezoning of Oxford lands for shared parking". I wonder if this is the beginning of opening these lots up to some potential development. I would imagine that any future buildings in these lots would have to have some underground parking reserved for SQ1 use.

zuWYGbVh.png

Saw some interesting new stuff for the SQ1 lands on the Mississauga Development Applications map. All of those blue dots around the mall (save for the dot representing the Exchange District Condos application) are all labelled "Technical rezoning of Oxford lands for shared parking". I wonder if this is the beginning of opening these lots up to some potential development. I would imagine that any future buildings in these lots would have to have some underground parking reserved for SQ1 use.

zuWYGbVh.png
Playdium could be redesigned (and even integrated into an expanded Square One) as well.

Playdium could be redesigned (and even integrated into an expanded Square One) as well.

It'll be interesting to see what gets done with Playdium. It is certainly in desperate need of getting redone and it eats up a huge amount of space in the core. I know Cineplex owns both the Playdium and The Rec Room brands, so it's entirely possible that The Rec Room is Playdium's eventual replacement in MCC. However, it's entirely possible that it could get totally redone since they're building new ones outside of Mississauga with a totally new design language. I'd personally like to see it get integrated into the podium of a new tower development, following the new design language.

Here's an example of what they're starting to look like now. This one is in Whitby:

Playdium_Whitby_Rendering_Exterior_Super_Portrait.jpg

Playdium_Whitby_Rendering_Interior_1___Super_Portrait.jpg

zuWYGbVh.png

From the city:
The Square One/Oxford Properties lands has a shared parking arrangement meaning not all parking has to be on the exact block that the building is located on, but can be in adjacent blocks (normally has to be on same property). Their parking requirement (parking rate) of 4.57 spaces per 100m2 was established approximately 20 years ago, and given the changes since that time, and how the Downtown is developing to become more urban, how we want to encourage people to take transit or walk instead of having everyone drive everywhere, they are seeking to reduce the parking requirement/rate. They are seeking a rate of 3.8 spaces per 100m2 for retail uses and 2.1 spaces per 100m2 for office uses and broaden the shared parking provisions across their lands. This would help facilitate redevelopment of some of their surface parking lots, as they will have to build in new underground parking for any redevelopment (which is quite costly).

Crazy to think that government parking quotas are acting as an impediment to turning these surface lots to more productive use.

It’s not just government. The mall is going to want them for their customers as well - this mall wouldn’t be anywhere near profitable without its parking lots.

So it seems like the move is in response to the Exchange District development. Lowering the parking requirement means they no longer need to replace the parking that is being lost on the site.

4.57 spaces/100m2 is insane! I work for a retailer that depends on parking and our min is 3.2.

Fair enough, but I speaking to requirements that stipulate quotas in excessive of market demand. Which is obviously a broader issue than this specific project.

So it seems like the move is in response to the Exchange District development. Lowering the parking requirement means they no longer need to replace the parking that is being lost on the site.

4.57 spaces/100m2 is insane! I work for a retailer that depends on parking and our min is 3.2.

Exchange District isn't on mall lands - it's just outside of it.

Exchange District isn't on mall lands - it's just outside of it.

But it's still Oxford's property, no?

I read this as applying to all of the land surrounding the mall including the blocks with office buildings - Especially considering that the change also applies to office parking requirements, and that it specifically calls out Square One and Oxford Properties land:
"The Square One/Oxford Properties lands has a shared parking arrangement meaning not all parking has to be on the exact block that the building is located on, but can be in adjacent blocks (normally has to be on same property)."

But it's still Oxford's property, no?

I read this as applying to all of the land surrounding the mall including the blocks with office buildings - Especially considering that the change also applies to office parking requirements, and that it specifically calls out Square One and Oxford Properties land:
"The Square One/Oxford Properties lands has a shared parking arrangement meaning not all parking has to be on the exact block that the building is located on, but can be in adjacent blocks (normally has to be on same property)."

My understanding is that Oxford does own some of the buildings, just not all of them. In the case of Exchange District, Camrost Felcorp owns it.

My understanding is that Oxford is in process to start redeveloping their parking lots - they have a few development plots readied along the southern portion of the mall with the street reconfiguration they did there a little while ago. This is preparing the mall for the reduced parking supply that comes when those lots are removed.

My understanding is that Oxford does own some of the buildings, just not all of them. In the case of Exchange District, Camrost Felcorp owns it.

My understanding is that Oxford is in process to start redeveloping their parking lots - they have a few development plots readied along the southern portion of the mall with the street reconfiguration they did there a little while ago. This is preparing the mall for the reduced parking supply that comes when those lots are removed.

Ah, didn't realize it wasn't Oxford.

I wonder how concerned is Oxford about over-saturating the market in Sauga. There are a lot of active developments as is and more underway, and the SQ1 lands constitute a ton of parcels.

I wonder how concerned is Oxford about over-saturating the market in Sauga. There are a lot of active developments as is and more underway, and the SQ1 lands constitute a ton of parcels.

They aren't planning to build all of them at once I imagine - and given that they are a pension fund, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a lot of rentals in the mix for them.

Back