Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

You guys have no idea how hard it is to venture up here place with a bicycle. Hope the photos are worth it

We were discussing how you got these photos this morning here in the office. Some thought by car and some figured you walked. And yes the photos were worth it. Many thanks!

Good job! I can't imagine riding a bike in those areas..Must not have been easy for you..

you are telling me you did this whole construction tour on your bike!?! here I was thinking about how much work it would have been to do it with a car, yet alone just biking around.. Super, super appreciative. I don't get up to York Region much in the winter months so seeing sites updated like this is great as I can't drive past them myself.

Nice photos! Where did you start your bike trip from?

It definitely wasn't an easy or beautiful ride, and the subway stations were just a small part of my construction tour of York Region. I also covered Richmond Hill, Markham and North Scarborough before taking the subway home when it started to get dark. I biked almost 100 km that day, which is not the longest distance I did this year by a long shot. I don't actually feel too tired the next day to be honest. Originally I was planning to use transit, but there were too many sites to visit therefore the bike was the best option. The TTC works really well for me for Toronto site visits, but YRT is not up to the task to say the least.

Usually I avoid arterial roads when I ride the bike, which is easy to do in most parts of Toronto but not so much in York Region. In the 905 I have to use the sidewalks a lot, but with all the construction along Hwy 7 I couldn't even do that because they keep disappearing. In the Viva thread, you can see that at one point I was standing in the middle of the road behind the construction cones because there was nowhere else to get away from the traffic. Eventually when even that method failed, I just waited for a break in traffic and then got the hell out of there at high speed using the car lane. To be honest, that wasn't even the worst part. What really drives me nuts is that sheer monotony of the suburban environment. There are no words that can convey how much I detest the suburbs and the car culture that created it. Every damn location I go looks the same. There is no sense of place. All those ugly cookie-cutter houses, strip malls, gas stations and parking lots could be in any city in North America. The huge arterial roads are just a traffic sewer that you drive through at high speed, instead of functioning like a proper street (e.g St Clair) where you can live, work, dine and shop. That combined with all the traffic noise pounding my head all day was enough to give me a headache.

I don't know how so many people could live in such a terrible build form. If I had to name the worst place I saw that day, it would probably be Scarborough Centre and it's surrounding areas, followed closely by Richmond Hill Centre. There is no subway in the world that can salvage that place. But you know what, the bike ride was worth it because a lot of people here love construction sites and progress updates. I will do it again next spring, for you guys.

Ride map: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/11120355

Screen shot 2015-11-16 at 10.57.26 AM.png

This is my bicycle.
Trek-Soho-Deluxe1.jpg

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-11-16 at 10.57.26 AM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-16 at 10.57.26 AM.png
    749.7 KB · Views: 808
  • Trek-Soho-Deluxe1.jpg
    Trek-Soho-Deluxe1.jpg
    590.9 KB · Views: 894
Last edited:
~100km in one day. You, sir, are dedicated.

And yeah I agree about the suburban areas, considering I live in one right now. :p

to be fair RHC has a hydro corridor, grade-separated Hwy 7, Hwy 407, and Rail line all going through it. We can't just tear-down a hydro corridor to make a place more inviting. You need them to power places like St. Clair. I wouldn't count it out yet. Look at the how well Yonge & Finch has been turning out considering the hydro corridor. I think with the right investment a lot of these places you visited could really turn the corner. Some of the most desirable neighbourhoods in Toronto were some of the most uninviting places not too long ago. Hopefully the subways/BRTs are the first steps towards that.

Thanks for the pictures!

Why does it look like the "Metropolitan" station is surrounded by defunct retailers and single story industrial warehouses?

Regardless of whether a subway should have been built there or not, Vaughan does have a substantial and ambitious plan to capitalize off of it, and the Hwy 7 transitway, and build a dense commercial and residential core. It's foolish to think this will be built out in just a few years, it's a decades-long project. Every dense neighborhood had to start at something less dense. That's the way cities grow. There are a couple of high rises on the go already, eventually, once demand increases, the land will be to valuable for big box stores to justify using it on free surface parking, and they'll redevelop. It's just a long, long process, but one that cannot start without a good plan, the proper zoning and policies in place, etc. And again, maybe it wasn't the best thing to build the subway there, but it's done, and in return, Vaughan is actually planning for a strong TOD area around it, which is more than can be said for a lot of the transit stations within Toronto proper.

The photos are a great illustration of the insanity of transit planning in the GTA. In most of them there are no surrounding buildings at all, and one appears to have a wood lot behind it. We're spending billions to put underground heavy rail to one of the least densely populated areas in the GTA, while we're incapable of providing adequate transit to the most densely populated areas of the city.

transit isn't only about density. 4 out of the 6 stations make complete sense, it's only the vaughan stations that are useless.

Out here, bus connections are key, and that they have in spades as Steeles and Finch. Downsview has a transfer to GO, and York U serves the university which has a massive population during the day.

The photos are a great illustration of the insanity of transit planning in the GTA. In most of them there are no surrounding buildings at all, and one appears to have a wood lot behind it. We're spending billions to put underground heavy rail to one of the least densely populated areas in the GTA, while we're incapable of providing adequate transit to the most densely populated areas of the city.

The line was primarily for York University Connections but considering the City didn't have the money they need provincial and York Region Buy-in to get it funded which meant it needed to serve a regional purpose. It'll do fine serving the second largest University in the Country (not just peak trips but throughout the day) as well as a bunch of connections to recreational facilities and VMC in Vaughan. I think it'll do just fine. Sheppard East on the other hand...

Back