Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Yeah, overbuilt bus areas suck. Then again, look at Kipling. The Rockets leave from the garbage area...

Might having a twenty-five year plan for your transport network help reduce the number of misjudged transit hubs? Depends on the faith we have in transit planners and politicians to stick to a plan. That's why the Big Move is such an anomaly for the GTA...

Clearly there isn't much faith in planners here when they change their mind a million times (see: Eglinton subway and Sheppard subway)

And this is why we can't have nice stuff.

Do you understand what it is for and how it will be used? Hint, it helps address capacity issues between Bloor/Yonge and Union stations.

Just because you cannot understand something does NOT make it a waste.

I fail to see how Steeles West needs a triple platform.

It's for efficiency at short turning the trains to avoid delays and decrease of service level.

I suspect they will do the same for Steeles Station on the Yonge line

When the metro went to laval, they built a third plateform
480507876_88f192a78f.jpg

Last edited:

A train which is short-turning at Steeles West will pull into the middle platform which will keep it out of the way of trains continuing through the station. The driver will need to walk to the other end of the train, go through a checklist, and then leave southbound. If all this occurred on the other tracks trains could end up getting backed up because, as can be seen at Kipling, trains arrive before the reversing train departs. The extra tail track handles larger bottlenecks or holds a spare to make it easier to get rid of the bottlenecks and spacing issues quicker. It is all about operational flexibility. Anyone who has waited on a train into the last line stations can attest to the fact things get bogged down where trains turn around.

The driver will need to walk to the other end of the train, go through a checklist, and then leave southbound.

With no crew at all and fully automated trains it would still be tricky to do it at a station like Finch simply due to the time it takes a train to get through the switches.

To comfortably maintain 90 second headways means you need to be able to achieve ~60 to second headway bursts to close operational gaps.

The 7th car (slightly longer train) won't help matters at double tracked stations with no pocket.

Since we don't want to tighten the cross-over distance (bumpier ride) we get this configuration.

They are building a third track south of Downsview instead.

Yeah, I saw that in the plans. It seems unrelated; I'm assuming that the purpose of that track is to ensure that any "backup" of trains getting into Wilson yard after the peak periods don't block the through trains. I don't think it's there to permit trains to turn back.

Anyone know for sure?

I've always thought that Wilson is a more logical turn back location than Downsview or Steeles.

Last edited:
It's for efficiency at short turning the trains to avoid delays and decrease of service level.

I suspect they will do the same for Steeles Station on the Yonge line

When the metro went to laval, they built a third plateform
480507876_88f192a78f.jpg
I like the lighting on the station wall just above the tracks :D . But of course knowing the TTC they'll get lazy and won't change the bulbs after they burn out.:rolleyes:

But a turnaround track will be more useful.

It looks like the current short-turning of trains at St. Clair West will now occur at Glencairn, starting sometime in 2010. I don't know the exact target date.

This will be followed by in 2015, by short-turning at Wilson.

They are waiting for the arrival of additional trains (3 by 2010, and 9 by 2015) for the needed service capacity, before they can do so.

And if they only run 1 in 4 trains up to VCC how long would you have to wait for a train at that station, and how long would you have to wait for a train anywhere on the line that actually goes to that station.

Back