Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

There's a 6 hr gap in service in the mid to late afternoon on the barrie line. There likely wasnt a train scheduled that would get him downtown for 7 ish when the doors open for the concert.

Taking a look at the schedule. Assume he would be using king city go as his "closest" station. Thats assuming king city is closer more convenient to get to than VMC. Which may not necessarily be true depending on where in kleinburg he is coming from and given the road network in the area.

The last southbound train leaves king city at 1:50 with a 2:30 arrival, the next southbound train is 8:50. Either he arrives 5 hours early or 1 hour late. Then at the end of the night the last train leaves at 10:40. That concert went to 10:45 IIRC and so he either misses the train and takes the bus, or leaves early missing the encore.

Kind of makes the decision a no brainer.

No, the concert TOAreaFan was referring to occurred on Sunday when Barrie has hourly all day service.

wouldn't matter.....when the choice is a subway or a GO train and they are both relatively close to where you are....people will pick the subway.....it just has (or has the perception of) no wait time and, therefore, no need to consult a schedule and "plan your day".

I would bet you if the event had taken place on a Sunday before the subway opened...he would have just driven his car downtown and parked in the reserved underground spot he had available to him in the building adjacent to where we had dinner.

wouldn't matter.....when the choice is a subway or a GO train and they are both relatively close to where you are....people will pick the subway.....it just has (or has the perception of) no wait time and, therefore, no need to consult a schedule and "plan your day".

I would bet you if the event had taken place on a Sunday before the subway opened...he would have just driven his car downtown and parked in the reserved underground spot he had available to him in the building adjacent to where we had dinner.
That's because GO Transit is still thought of as a commuter train and not rapid transit. Even when 15 minutes two way service arrived, people will still choose the subway for the exact reasons you mention. Even with lowered fares and real fare integration, Go Transit won't be popular unless the TTC actively advertises it as the train you should take for longer distances.

That's because GO Transit is still thought of as a commuter train and not rapid transit. Even when 15 minutes two way service arrived, people will still choose the subway for the exact reasons you mention. Even with lowered fares and real fare integration, Go Transit won't be popular unless the TTC actively advertises it as the train you should take for longer distances.
How much should the TTC spend on those "we don't want your fares, give them to the other guys" ads?

Go Transit advertising on the TTC could work too. Metrolinx already advertises the $1.50 TTC transfer co-fare (I'm assuming this isn't done by the TTC), so it would be mutually beneficial.
If, as you note in your scenario, we get to 15 minute service on lines (i doubt we will other than lakeshore but I will play along) the answer is not some social engineering with advertising....it is rationalizing the services based on demand.....if people in the Vaughan area are more inclined to use a subway than a GO train....why have both available on a Sunday night at 6 pm? This dogmatic "all lines at 15 minutes at all off peak times" is gonna bankrupt the province.....there is no need most of the time and especially where a subway service and a GO service directly overlap.

A simple law change to the City of Toronto Act can fix this.

And they get all ownership of the assets too? I'm not sure if it's that easy, or is it. I don't know how the constitution works. Things like yards, stations, and the air rights above it would be pretty valuable. Can the prov just take it, or do they pay market rate? Somewhat related but Line 3's at-grade portion will be going to the province for Stouff expansion. Will there be a trade, money exchange, or they take it?

And they get all ownership of the assets too? I'm not sure if it's that easy, or is it. I don't know how the constitution works. Things like yards, stations, and the air rights above it would be pretty valuable. Can the prov just take it, or do they pay market rate? Somewhat related but Line 3's at-grade portion will be going to the province for Stouff expansion. Will there be a trade, money exchange, or they take it?

The government can seize anybody's property though a simple law change. We don't have property rights in Canada. It's through this process that QP is nullifying contractural commitments made by the previous government.

Back